Ashwin Gokhale helps public and private technology companies navigate through technology transactions and licensing matters. He draws on his prior experience leading a legal team at a high-growth venture-backed company and his business experience working for various other startups in Silicon Valley to provide practical solutions to the legal and business challenges his clients face.
He regularly negotiates and advises technology companies on a range of intellectual property licensing and other commercial transactions, including agreements for software and hardware development and licensing, manufacturing and distribution, advertising and marketing, patent licensing, mergers and acquisitions and venture capital investments.
He counsels a broad range of clients—from large public companies to startups and emerging companies—across the tech sector, including AI and machine learning, AdTech and digital media, web services, e-commerce, EdTech, healthcare IT, software, computer hardware and alternative energy.
Prior to joining WilmerHale, Mr. Gokhale led the legal department at YuMe, Inc., a leader in the video advertising technology and services space. He was responsible for managing all legal matters for the company, including three rounds of equity financing, the acquisition of a UK-based video advertising company, establishing a subsidiary in India, advice on privacy issues surrounding online advertisement targeting and several high-value strategic agreements with major media properties and consumer electronics device manufacturers.
During law school, Mr. Gokhale was a full-time extern for the Honorable Susan Illston of the Federal District Court for the Northern District of California. Before he received his law degree, Mr. Gokhale worked in business development and marketing at several venture-backed startup companies.
- Metamind in licensing agreements and transactional advice, including the company’s acquisition by Salesforce.com;
- Pilot AI Labs in various agreements relating to the company’s machine learning-based computer vision technology; and
- Broadcom in licensing and collaboration agreements;
- Lion Semiconductor in several development and licensing agreements; and
- several agreements for a variety of clients settling patent litigation brought against them by non-practicing entities, including on behalf of Xero Inc. and Millennium Pharmaceuticals.
- JD, University of San Francisco School of Law, 2006
- BA, Economics, University of California, Berkeley, 2000
ADMISSIONS : California
Rate : $$$$