Augusto E. Maxwell, chair of Akerman’s cutting edge Cuba practice, helps Fortune 500 and other U.S. companies develop viable business interests on the island. A Cuban-American, clients appreciate his first-hand knowledge and understanding of Cuba’s culture, government, and business climate.
Ranked by both Chambers Latin America and Chambers Global, where he is described by clients as “extremely knowledgeable, well connected and responsive.” He is the only U.S. lawyer ranked by both organizations.
Working on normalization since 2003, Gus has led discussions between U.S. and Cuban government officials and industry leaders on the realities of establishing ongoing business relations between the two nations.
His significant experience, familiarity with the marketplace, and pragmatic long-term vision, allow him to frame client issues from both nations’ perspectives. Gus regularly accompanies clients looking to do business in Cuba.
In addition to co-teaching a seminar titled “Cuba: Law Policy and Transition” at Columbia University School of Law, Gus frequently writes and speaks on topics ranging from Cuba’s energy outlook to the island’s booming art market.
He is frequently sought out for his insights by the media, including The Wall Street Journal, The Financial Times, The Guardian, The Miami Herald, CNN, NPR, Fox News and The American Lawyer.
Notable Work :
- Home Sharing: Represented industry leader in establishing its successful launch in Cuba within four months after the normalization of relations between the two countries.
- JetBlue: Assisted one of the largest U.S. airlines in obtaining regulatory permission from Cuba to become the first U.S. carrier to make regularly scheduled flights to and from the island.
- Stonegate Bank: Represented the first U.S. commercial bank in establishing a correspondent banking relationship with a Cuban bank. This historic agreement was the first major business deal transacted after the United States and Cuba resumed diplomatic relations.
- J.D., Columbia Law School, 1990, with honors, International Fellow
- B.S., Georgetown University, 1985, cum laude
Bar Admissions : Florida
Professional Experience :
- Assistant Miami-Dade County Attorney, 1990-2001
Rate : $$$$