B. Ted Howes is a partner in Mayer Brown’s New York office and is both the Leader of the firm’s US International Arbitration practice and a member of the firm’s global leadership team for international arbitration.
He advises US and foreign companies in a wide variety of international commercial arbitrations, including arbitrations governed by the Rules of the International Centre for Dispute Resolution, the International Chamber of Commerce, the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre and the Singapore International Arbitration Centre.
Ted is also an active arbitrator and has been appointed to the Panel/List of Arbitrators of the International Centre for Dispute Resolution, the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre, and the Beijing International Arbitration Centre.
He is a member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and is an authority on drafting arbitration provisions for complex international commercial contracts. Ted has been recognized as an “ADR (Alternative Dispute Resolution) Champion” by The National Law Journal.
In addition to his international arbitration experience, Ted has extensive experience representing foreign and US corporations in US commercial litigation, often of an international nature. He routinely appears before the federal and state courts of New York in connection with his litigation practice.
Ted is a frequent speaker and writer on international arbitration and related international legal issues. Ted is conversational in French and Spanish.
- Harvard University, BA
- Harvard Law School, JD
- New York
- US District Court for the Southern District of New York
- US District Court for the Northern District of New York
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- US District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- Member of the Bar of the State of New York
- Member of the Arbitration Committee of the International Bar Association
- Member of the International Arbitration Club of New York
- An arbitration award ordering the Spanish seller of an environmental services company to pay a $5.5 million purchase price adjustment to the US purchaser, and dismissing all of the seller’s counterclaims, following a hearing conducted in New York under the ICC Rules of Arbitration.
- An arbitration award ordering the Chinese partner of a textile joint venture to make the joint venture’s books and records available for an audit by the US partner, in an arbitration conducted in Singapore under the rules of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre.
- An award of over $2.4 million to the US subsidiary of a German company, as well as an award of the legal fees incurred by the client, following a AAA arbitration hearing in New York, in a case involving the breach of an indemnification provision in a stock purchase agreement.
- The dismissal of claims totaling more than $10 million against a Korean client following an ICC arbitration held in London, in a case that involved the termination of a Korean distributorship by a major US apparel company
- The dismissal of claims in excess of $4.5 million asserted by a French glassware distributor against a New Jersey glassware manufacturer, as well as the award of all attorneys’ fees and costs, following a week-long ICC arbitration in Zurich, Switzerland.
- A summary judgment victory in a New York federal court action, in which claims in excess of $50 million, asserted by a consortium of multinational banks, were dismissed against a Korean company.
Rate : $$$$