Barbara Klementz is the managing partner of the Firm’s Los Angeles, Palo Alto and San Francisco offices in California. She is the chair of Baker McKenzie’s Compensation Sub Practice Group. She has practiced in the area of global equity and executive compensation for over 18 years and currently serves on the Board of Directors of the Global Equity Organization.
Barbara has authored several articles on global equity issues for the BNA Executive Compensation Journal, Journal of Corporate Taxation and San Francisco and Los Angeles Daily Journal, among others, and she is the author of a blog on global equity related topics called the Global Equity Equation.
She is also a frequent speaker on a variety of global equity topics. Barbara has been recognized as a ranked practitioner by Chambers USA 2017. Chambers states that she “consistently delivers top-notch assistance and work product, and is a true expert in the field.” Barbara is admitted to private practice in California and Düsseldorf, Germany.
Barbara focuses her practice on global equity compensation programs, employee benefits and executive compensation. She regularly advises multinational companies on implementing their equity compensation programs worldwide — particularly as it relates to tax and securities law matters and exchange control regulations.
Barbara also frequently advises on the treatment of such programs in corporate spin-offs and other corporate transactions, as well as on the tax treatment of cross-border employees.
- University of San Francisco School of Law (LL.M. International & Comparative Law) (2000)
- University of Bonn (Assessor Exam) (1998)
- University of Bonn (First State Exam) (1995)
- California~United States (2001)
- Düsseldorf~Germany (1999)
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Global Equity Organization – Board of Directors
- National Association of Stock Plan Professionals
- State Bar of California
- San Francisco Bar Association
Representative Legal Matters:
- Advised Citrix Systems, Inc. on the tax and legal issues affecting equity awards held by employees of GetGo subsidiary in spin-off and subsequent merger with LogMeIn.
- Advised semiconductor company on international equity compensation issues related to spin-off of subsidiary.
- Advised Fortune 100 software company on implementation of RSU program in approximately 90 countries.
- Advised Fortune 100 software company on tax and regulatory issues related to adjustment of equity awards as a result of extraordinary dividend distribution.
- Provided advice on tax treatment of cross-border transferring employees with regard to outstanding equity awards.
Rate : $$$