Barry J. Bendes concentrates his practice on U.S.-based and cross-border corporate and commercial transactions, financings, manufacturing and distribution of consumer products, privacy/data protection, internet, software and computer-related law matters.
He is frequently called upon as counsel to negotiate mergers and acquisitions, public and private debt and equity financings, joint ventures, sales, secured and asset-based lending transactions, licensing, and computer, internet-related and high technology transactions.
Additionally, he advises private and public companies and their owners, officers and both inside and outside directors; and venture capital and angel investors. Barry served as the Secretary and General Counsel of Emerson Radio Corp., then a NYSE listed company with $800 million sales, and Senior Vice President-Administration of its computer and technology subsidiaries based in NJ and Newport Beach, CA leveraging his computer programming and business experience.
He represents and has represented public and private U.S. and international companies involved in the manufacture and distribution of consumer electronics and other consumer products in the Americas, fashion products, computer hardware, computer software, as well as companies involved in telephony, voice recognition, financing, and build out and sale of cellular radio sites and networks.
He has handled public and private securities offerings involving medical device companies, computer equipment manufacturers and retailers, telecommunications and telephone interconnect companies, robotics and electronics companies, and consumer products, as well as representing founders, inventors, issuers and investors in startups, private placements and pipes involved in such diverse areas as fiber optics, robotics, voice recognition, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, and consumer and durable goods.
Barry has represented indenture trustees and successor trustees in numerous public debt financings, workouts and insolvencies. Barry serves as a member the Firm’s Opinions Committee. He continues to serve as a bar association delegate to the Working Group on Legal Opinions (WGLO) (since 2006) and as a speaker and reporter at WGLO sessions on various issues involving third party legal opinions.
He has served as the Chair of the Legal Opinions Committee of the Greater New York Chapter of the Association of Corporate Counsel (formerly the American Corporate Counsel Association) and as Chair of the Board of the Business Law Section of the New Jersey State Bar Association.
Professional Affiliations :
- Association of the Bar of City of New York 1975-present
- Computer Law Committee 1986-89, Chair, Commercial Liability Subcommittee 1987-89
- Uniform State Laws Committee 1991-94, 1997-2001, Secretary 1993-94
- Commercial Law and Uniform State Laws Committee 2013-2016
- Taskforce on New York Limited Liability Company Act 1994-95, 2013-2016
- American Bar Association 1975-present
- Business Law Section (Developments in Business Financing Committee, PEVC Committee, Subcommittee on Transactional Issues and Documents, Ad Hoc Committee on Audit Responses, Third Party Legal Opinions Committee)
- Science and Technology Section (Computer Law Committee 1979-95, Contracting for Computers Subcommittee 1980-82)
- New Jersey State Bar Association 1986-present
- Section Chair 2006-2008, Secretary 2003-2006, Vice Chair-Legislation 2000-03 and Member, Board of Directors, Business Law Section 1998-present
- Chair, Business Law Section Committee on Third Party Legal Opinions 1998-2006, 2008-present; member, 1989-present
- Member, Internet and Computer Law Committee, 1993-present
- Member, Franchise Law Committee, 2009-present
- New Jersey Inn of Transactional Counsel, Hudson/Bergen
- Trustee, 2003-present
- Society for Corporate Governance (formerly, American Society of Corporate Secretaries and Governance Professionals)
- Corporate Practices Committee 1989-present
- J.D., New York University School of Law
- B.A., cum laude with honors in Economics, Queens College
Admissions : New York; New Jersey; Massachusetts
Admitted To Practice :
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Court of International Trade
Rate : $$$