With a legal career spanning more than four decades, Barry Leigh Weissman offers significant insurance and reinsurance industry experience. He represents insurance and reinsurance companies in regulatory proceedings, transactional matters, and dispute resolution including arbitrations, mediations, and litigation in state and federal courts.
His clients have included national and international corporations, banking and financial institutions, and departments of insurance. On behalf of departments of insurance, his work has included regulatory matters such as Form A’s, acting as liquidator and rehabilitator of troubled insurance companies, and representing commissioners who have been sued.
Barry’s practice encompasses transactional matters such as regulations, licensing, and mergers of insurance and reinsurance companies, as well as certain legislative activities. His legislative activities include working as part of the team that drafted the California Risk Retention Act, and the Cumis legislation (regarding insurance companies’ use of separate counsel when their interests potentially conflict with those of their insureds), and serving on the California State Senate Advisory Commission on Malpractice Insurance.
- Santa Clara University School of Law (J.D.)
- University of California, Davis (B.A.)
Professional & Community Involvement:
- Member, California State Bar’s Council on Access and Fairness (2016-2019)
- Member, International Association of Insurance Receivers
- Member, ARIAS (1995-present)
- Chair, Standing Committee on Insurance Law of the Business Law Section of the California State Bar (2014)
- California State Senate Advisory Commission on Malpractice Insurance
- Member, American Bar Associations
- General Practice, International Law, Litigation Sections
- Council of the General Practice Section
Rate : $$$$