Bart Daniel co-heads the White Collar Crime Defense and Government Investigations team. His practice focuses on both civil and criminal litigation. He has tried numerous white collar, healthcare, environmental, securities, and general litigation matters to verdict in South Carolina.
Nominated by President George H.W. Bush, Mr. Daniel was confirmed and served as U.S. Attorney for the District of South Carolina from 1989 to 1992. During his tenure, he served as lead prosecutor during Operation Lost Trust, a federal investigation that resulted in the conviction of 17 members of the S.C. General Assembly, seven lobbyists, and three others for bribery, extortion, or drug use.
He has served as special counsel to the governor, conducting an internal investigation into allegations of public corruption and influence peddling in state government. He also served as lead counsel for the S.C. House of Representatives before a three-judge federal panel in a trial involving reapportionment and the drawing of district lines.
He also was appointed special counsel by the S.C. securities commissioner to handle a complex security fraud matter with national implications.
- University of South Carolina School of Law, JD (1980)
- The Citadel, BA (1977)
Admissions : South Carolina
- Lead attorney in a securities fraud trial defending Revolutions Medical Corp. CEO Rondald Wheet, who faced a maximum sentence of 80 years imprisonment if convicted. Secured unanimous jury verdict of not guilty on all three counts of securities fraud and false filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission
- Prosecuted the first federal criminal environmental case to go to trial in South Carolina
- Defended the first federal criminal healthcare case to go to trial in South Carolina
- Has both prosecuted and defended False Claim Act or “whistleblower” actions in U.S. District Court
Previous Professional Experience:
- E. Bart Daniel law firm (1992-2017)
- U.S. Attorney for the District of South Carolina (1989-1992)
- Private practice (1985-1989)
- Assistant State Attorney General, Economic Crime Unit (1980-1982)
- Permanent member, Fourth Circuit Judicial Conference
- J.L. Pettigru American Inn of Court
- Board member, S.C. Federal Bar Association
Rate : $$$$