Mr. Bart A. Lazar is a partner in the Chicago office of Seyfarth Shaw LLP. He counsels clients in intellectual property, data privacy and security, advertising, promotion and related matters. Mr. Lazar helps clients structure and implement strategies to comply with domestic and international data privacy and security laws and respond to actual and potential security breach incidents.
Mr. Lazar works with clients to execute innovative social and traditional media promotional programs. He handles copyright, trademark, privacy and new media issues, including advertising, promotion, sweepstakes, marketing, computer software, data use, Internet, employee privacy, cybercrime and entertainment matters. Mr. Lazar helps clients identify, protect, commercialize and enforce intellectual property rights.
He acts as lead and local counsel in copyright, trademark, counterfeiting and grey market/diversion, false advertising, unfair competition, computer fraud and abuse, and Internet-related litigation, and has obtained numerous ex parte temporary restraining orders and seizure orders to combat piracy.
Mr. Lazar has handled numerous privacy matters before federal and state agencies, including defending the first Internet privacy case brought by the Federal Trade Commission and the first database security breach case brought by the New York Attorney General.
Mr. Lazar assists clients in investigating cybercrime, trademark counterfeiting, criminal copyright infringement and other white collar crime and has successfully pursued civil litigation to combat white collar crime including obtaining substantial settlements and judgments for clients. Mr. Lazar’s efforts have also resulted in successful federal and state criminal prosecutions in cybercrime, trademark counterfeiting and felony theft.
- LL.M., Trade Regulation, New York University School of Law (1987)
- J.D., Chicago-Kent College of Law, Illinois Institute of Technology (1986)
- Winner, Local Nathan Burkan Award for Best Copyright Law Article
- B.A., University of Chicago (1982)
- Promotion Marketing Association
- International Trademark Association
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Lawyers for the Creative Arts, Member of the Board of Directors
- Approved Mediator for Lanham Act Cases-United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois
Rate : $$$$