A former U.S. congressman and Michigan state representative, Bart Stupak is uniquely positioned to provide clients with well-informed, extensive counsel based on a thorough knowledge of the energy, healthcare, telecommunications, and international trade industries, and their related legislation.
Bart currently focuses his practice on healthcare system financial restructuring and has played key roles in the reformation of two systems valued at more than $50 million and $100 million, respectively. As congressman to Michigan’s First Congressional District for 18 years, Bart developed a deep understanding of issues that directly affected his constituents.
Bart served on the U.S. House of Representatives Energy and Commerce Committee. He was involved with several related subcommittees, including the Health, Energy and the Environment, Communications, Technology and the Internet, Consumer Protection, and Commerce and Trade Subcommittees.
He chaired the Oversight and Investigations Subcommittee, and oversaw investigations into physical and cybersecurity breaches at U.S. nuclear labs, food and drug safety matters, and insurance company policy rescissions.
He played a critical role in the passage of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA) of 2010. He also served on the Armed Services, Government Reform, and Merchant Marine and Fisheries Committees.
Bart began his career in public service as a police officer in Escanaba, Michigan. He continued his career in law enforcement as a Michigan State police trooper, until he was medically retired because of an injury sustained in the line of duty. He also served in the Michigan House of Representatives.
- Chairman, Oversight and Investigations Subcommittee, Energy and Commerce Committees
- Congressman, United States House of Representatives
- Representative, Michigan House of Representatives
- J.D. Thomas M. Cooley Law School 1980
- B.S. Saginaw Valley State University 1977
Bar Admissions : Michigan, District of Columbia
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Supreme Court
- District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
Professional Memberships :
- Member, Fellows Alumni Advisory Council, Institute of Politics, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, 2012
- Board member, Thomas M. Cooley Law School, 2012
- Board member, Ethics Resource Center, 2011
- Regular contributor to Politico’s Arena website
- Handled several cases for indigent clients for Social Security Disability
- Legal counsel, Pro Bono Client Menominee Knights of Columbus Council #646
- Board member, Congressional Sports for Charity, 2016
- Volunteer, Democrats for Life of America
- Member, Fort Mackinac Vintage Baseball Team, Mackinac Island, MI
Rate : $$$$