Ben M. McFarland is the Managing Member of the Firm’s Wheeling, West Virginia office. He also serves as the Firm’s Construction Law Team Leader. Ben concentrates his practice in litigation, representing energy, construction, and general industry companies before federal, state, and appellate courts.
He also represents attorneys involved in legal malpractice actions and in matters before the West Virginia Office of Disciplinary Counsel. Finally, Ben routinely handles accident investigations, counseling clients from the onset of a workplace accident and throughout the entirety of the subsequent government agency investigation.
Prior to his legal career, Ben gained first-hand experience in the construction industry through his employment as a journeyman ironworker, during which time he was involved in the construction of the Washington Convention Center in Washington, D.C., as well as additions and renovations to a coal-burning power plant in Ohio.
Through his unique experience in the construction industry, Ben fully appreciates the impact that safety has both on human capital and the economic success of his client’s business. Ben is a Member of Steptoe & Johnson PLLC’s Wheeling, West Virginia office. He resides in Belmont County, Ohio, with his wife, Brook, and their five children.
- Complex construction litigation involving allegations of defective design, undue delay, and faulty workmanship
- Represented large hospital in multi-million dollar insurance coverage dispute
- Defended multiple attorneys in various types of legal malpractice cases, including cases involving matters of first impression before the Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia
- Defended coal companies in various types of Section 105(c) employment discrimination/wrongful termination matters
- Represented large coal, construction, and general industry companies in significant MSHA proceedings before federal administrative law judge
- Represented companies in fatality and other serious accident investigations being conducted by the Mine Safety and Health Administration, the West Virginia Office of Miners’ Health Safety and Training, and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration
- J.D. University of Toledo College of Law
- B.A. Ohio University
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of West Virginia
- West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Chair, Safety and Health Subgroup, Defense Trial Counsel of West Virginia
- Board Member, The Seeing Hand Association, Inc.
Rate : $$$