Ben L. Mesches is co-chair of the firm’s Litigation Practice Group and maintains an active appellate and litigation practice. Ben successfully guides teams in significant cases in trial and appellate courts. Board certified in civil appellate law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, Ben translates big-case litigation experience in business, energy, intellectual property, and bankruptcy disputes into practical business and legal solutions.
Ben has amassed a string of high-profile wins in the appellate courts. Just since 2013, he reversed a $10.7 million verdict; prevailed in a high profile energy case at the Texas Supreme Court; preserved an $81.4 million railroad-divestiture transaction in the Washington appellate courts, leading a team of lawyers from across the country; and secured a key ruling in a closely watched ballot-eligibility dispute on the eve of the election.
Ben’s approach to appellate litigation begins in the trial court—before an appeal is ever filed. Clients seek his counsel to navigate the fast-paced post-verdict stage and develop crisis-management strategies in the aftermath of an adverse decision. Understanding that close collaboration with the trial team is critical, Ben has been the architect of winning litigation strategies in the trial court—both before and after trial.
Ben’s peers recognize his collaborative leadership style. He just completed a term as chair of the ABA’s Council of Appellate Lawyers—the only national appellate-bench organization in the country—and later this year will become the President of the Texas Supreme Court Historical Society. Ben is regularly asked to write and speak on litigation and appellate practice topics, including issue selection and presentation, Fifth Circuit trends, bankruptcy appeals, and the post-verdict process.
- J.D., University of Texas at Austin School of Law, 2001, with honors; Member, Texas Law Review
- B.A., Political Science, Trinity University, 1998, cum laude
ADMISSIONS : Texas
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES :
- Texas Supreme Court Historical Society: President-Elect; Board of Trustees; Fellow; and Chair of the Marketing Committee
- Texas Board of Legal Specialization: Member of the Exam Commission for Civil Appellate Law
- Texas Law Review Association: Member of the Board of Trustees
- Dallas Bar Association, Appellate Section: Served as Chair of the Appellate Section (2011) and member of the Advisory Council (2007-2012)
- State Bar of Texas Appellate Section: Website Committee Co-Chair (2011-present)
Rate : $$$