Benjamin J. Bolin concentrates his practice in intellectual property, handling patent, trademark and copyright matters. During law school, he was the team captain of the International Patent Drafting Competition; his team, competing at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office in Detroit, won second place for their patent application and presentation.
Ben’s work includes prosecuting patent applications and drafting patentability opinions. He uses his background in physics and innovating to understand client innovations and values, and works to maximize clients’ patent portfolios. His diverse technological background makes Ben adept at discerning growing industries such as quantum computing, artificial intelligence and apparel innovations.
Before joining Shook, Ben served as an intern for the Entrepreneurial Legal Services Clinic at the University of Missouri – Kansas City, filing trademark applications for and providing counsel to underprivileged clients.
He also completed an internship at the Office of the City Attorney in Kansas City, Missouri, where he worked on titles and closing documents of distressed properties for the Kansas City Land Bank; helped mediate a six-figure city demolition assessment; drafted an information technology agreement between the City and a local private firm; and established metrics for the productivity of the internal legal team.
Ben also was the founder and CEO of Imagine Labs, LLC, a company dedicated to sustainable energy conversion methods through unconventional means. Current product designs are directed towards industrial and power generating plants. In 2014, the company won the Missouri Energy Initiative.
Ben is a ballroom dancer and chef at heart. He trained with a Michelin-starred chef in Florence, Italy, and has even taught ballroom dance in Japan.
- J.D., cum laude, University of Missouri – Kansas City, 2018
- International Patent Drafting Competition, Second Place
- UMKC Law Review, Member
- Top Section Grade (Cyberlaw and Information Policy; Patent Prosecution)
- President, Intellectual Property Society
- B.A., University of Missouri, 2015 (Physics; minors in Mathematics and East Asian Studies)
- Most Influential Student Award
- Multicultural Certificate
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Lawyers & Accountants for the Arts, Volunteer
Rate : $$$