Benjamin Stearns’s practice focuses on regulated industries, primarily medical marijuana and property and casualty insurance. Benjamin works with state regulators to resolve compliance matters and negotiate enforcement actions. He also lobbies the Florida Legislature, and has testified before legislative committees.
In addition, Benjamin litigates insurance coverage matters and contests of government contract awards. He represented the state of Florida in an original action against Georgia in the United States Supreme Court over the apportionment of the waters in the Chattahoochee-Flint-Apalachicola River System.
Prior to joining Carlton Fields, Benjamin was an attorney for the Florida Senate where he drafted legislation, advised state senators, and developed an understanding of the legislative process. His background in journalism and previous work for a Miami public relations agency refined his ability to advocate on behalf of clients.
- Florida State University College of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2013)
- University of Florida (M.A., 2010)
- University of Miami (B.A., 2006)
- Staff Attorney, Community Affairs Committee, Florida Senate, Tallahassee, FL (2014-2015)
- Law Clerk, General Counsel’s Office, Florida Department of Economic Opportunity, Tallahassee, FL (2013)
- Law Clerk, General Counsel’s Office, Florida Department of State, Tallahassee, FL (2012-2013)
Rate : $$$$