Benjamin Gibson is an attorney in the Tallahassee office of Shutts & Bowen LLP, where he is Vice-Chair of the Appellate practice group. His statewide practice focuses on government, political, and corporate clients representing them in government affairs, appellate, litigation, and administrative matters. With more than 10 years of experience in Florida government and politics, Ben has also worked as a staff attorney with the Florida House of Representatives helping to author the largest rewrite of Florida’s growth management laws in 25 years.
Before joining Shutts, Ben served as the Deputy General Counsel and an Assistant General Counsel to Florida Governor Rick Scott for nearly five years, where he helped advise the Governor on the appointment of more than 120 judges to Florida’s county, circuit, DCA, and Supreme Courts.
His responsibilities included overseeing legal issues relating to the Department of Business and Professional Regulation, Department of Education, Department of Lottery, Department of Management Services, Department of State, and Agency for State Technology.
Gibson’s government law practice includes serving as outside general counsel to state entities, advising on public records, the Sunshine Law, and ethics issues as well as representing clients before state courts and administrative agencies.
His election law practice focuses on advising candidates, party organizations, and political committees including the Republican Party of Florida and representing clients in compliance and enforcement matters. Prior to joining Shutts, Ben founded his own law firm focusing on government and election law.
- Florida State University College of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2008
- Member, Journal of Transnational Law & Policy, 2006-2008
- University of Florida, B.A., in Political Science, cum laude, 2005
PROFESSIONAL AND CIVIC ACTIVITIES:
- First District Court of Appeal Judicial Nominating Commission, appointed by Governor, 2018-present
- State Board of Education, appointed by Governor and confirmed by State Senate, 2017-present
- Board of Governors, The Florida Bar Young Lawyers Division elected from Second Circuit, June 2012- present
- Chair, Health & Wellness Committee, 2015-present; Chair, Communications Committee, 2014-2015
- Florida Bar Standing Committee on Mental Health & Wellness of Florida Lawyers, 2018-present
Rate : $$$