Benjamin West Janke represents clients across a broad spectrum of industries, with a strong focus in trademark and copyright litigation matters. Mr. Janke protects and enforces trademarks, and oversees the due diligence and prosecution process through the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. His copyright work includes managing the copyright application process from beginning to end, and litigating infringement claims.
Mr. Janke also and handles a variety of real estate, title and construction issues, including title insurance litigation, commercial foreclosures and workouts, foreclosure defense and construction litigation. He regularly advises and handles claims and internal investigations for companies in the construction and remediation industries.
He also advises large commercial property owners, including shopping malls, university systems, hospitals and apartment complexes, on landlord/tenant issues and other real estate matters.
Mr. Janke’s experience also extends to the hospitality, restaurant, telecommunications and emerging companies industries, where he has handled everything from post-bankruptcy shareholder disputes to trademark issues.
As a litigator, he is a familiar face in state and federal district courts and courts of appeal. He particularly enjoys helping clients through complex matters and finding creative solutions to challenging problems.
Mr. Janke also enjoys the study of international and comparative law, and working on law reform. He has extensive knowledge and experience with the prescription and statutes of limitation under Louisiana law and in a global context.
- Paul M. Hebert Law Center at Louisiana State University, J.D. & B.C.L., 2008, magna cum laude
- Vanderbilt University, Master of Education, 2005
- Vanderbilt University, B.S., 2004, magna cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Courts, Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Louisiana
- Successfully resolved a complex software copyright infringement claim spanning more than ten years of alleged infringement in multiple countries.
- Dismissed title insurer in complex matter involving more than twenty related lawsuits over ten years.
- Successfully prosecuted dozens of copyright and trademark applications.
- Regular practice with issues involving public records requests and withholdings.
- Successfully completed many large and high-profile commercial foreclosures.
- Obtained a favorable verdict on behalf of several maritime industry clients in a $4 million contract dispute involving a bareboat charter agreement.
Professional Honors & Activities:
- Recipient – Baker Donelson’s Pro Bono Attorney of the Year Award for the New Orleans office
- Member – Louisiana State Law Institute (Prescription Committee; Lease Movables Act Committee)
- Member – Association Henri Capitant (Louisiana Chapter)
- Vinson and Elkins Award for Best Comment or Case Note
- Member – The Federalist Society
- Member and Treasurer – Louisiana Supreme Court Historical Society
Rate : $$$