Benjamin W. Loveland’s practice focuses on the representation of distressed debt investors in chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings and other financial restructurings. He routinely represents indenture trustees, agents, noteholders, and lenders in large and complex bankruptcy cases and resulting litigation.
Mr. Loveland also has deep experience assisting clients with pre-investment diligence and transaction structuring against the insolvency background, and has helped borrower clients with refinancing and restructuring transactions.
Mr. Loveland rounds out his practice with extensive knowledge of cross-border insolvency matters, distressed sales, and issues involving the intersection of bankruptcy and intellectual property law.
Professional Activities :
- Co-Chair of Boston Bar Association Bankruptcy Section’s Young Lawyers Committee (2010–2012)
- Member (and former co-chair) of American Bankruptcy Institute Northeast Conference Emerging Insolvency Professionals Committee (2015 – present)
- Vice Chair of M. Ellen Carpenter Financial Literacy Program (2014–2016)
- Board Member of Courageous Sailing for Youth, Inc.
- Wilmington Trust, as indenture trustee for the first lien notes, in the chapter 11 case of Cobalt International Energy, Inc.
- Wilmington Savings Fund Society, as indenture trustee for second lien notes in the chapter 11 case of Avaya, Inc.
- Wilmington Trust, as indenture trustee for the second lien notes, in the chapter 11 case of SunEdison, Inc., including in related avoidance litigation
- Several funds and other financial creditors in connection with their acquisition of a majority interest in GT Advanced Technologies under its confirmed chapter 11 plan of reorganization
- Major bondholder in aspects of the American Airlines chapter 11 case, including chapter 11 plan negotiations and litigation surrounding aircraft sale transactions
- Major technology company in its bid for the patent portfolio of Nortel Networksin its chapter 11 section 363 sale
- JD, Suffolk University Law School, 2007
- BA, Political Science, Providence College, 2004
ADMISSIONS : Massachusetts, Rhode Island
CLERKSHIPS : The Hon. Joel B. Rosenthal, US Bankruptcy Court for the District of Massachusetts, 2007 – 2008
Rate : $$$$