Private equity firms, private enterprises and public companies alike turn to tax partner Benjamin Rogers for advice on a variety of complex business transactions. Ben regularly counsels some of the world’s largest private equity firms and their portfolio companies on mergers, acquisitions, dispositions and carve-outs. He also advises public and private companies on tax-free spinoffs and split-offs.
A valued advisor to clients seeking the most efficient tax structure for any transaction, Ben works with businesses across industries, including health care, life sciences, banking and technology. His work encompasses the diverse range of tax issues that arise in multifaceted business deals. Ben has also guided firms and companies through initial public offerings and debt or equity financing, and handled an assortment of real estate transactions.
Beyond his work with private equity firms and privately or publicly-held companies, Ben advises institutional investors on tax considerations relating to investment funds and direct investments.
- JD, Yale Law School, 2009; Executive Editor, Yale Journal on Regulation
- BA (Philosophy and Music), summa cum laude, Amherst College, 2006
ADMISSIONS : Massachusetts, 2010
CLERKSHIPS : Honorable Guido Calabresi, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit (2009 – 2010)
- Represented Shire Plc in connection with its $32 billion combination with Baxalta, a business spun out of Baxter International, for a combination of cash and stock.
- Represented Avista Capital Partners in its 2017 carve-out acquisition of United BioSource from Express Scripts Holding Company.
- Represented TPG Capital and its portfolio company Eze Software, a leading global provider of investment management solutions, in the 2018 sale of Eze Software to SS&C Technologies Holdings, Inc. for $1.45 billion.
- Represented the Blackstone Group and Bain Capital in the 2016 sale of The Weather Company’s B2B, mobile and cloud-based web properties to IBM.
- Represented Kohlberg & Co. in its 2017 carve-out acquisition of the Winter Sports division of Newell Brands Inc. for $240 million.
- Represented Tekni-Plex in its 2018 acquisition of the healthcare packaging, performance lidstock, indication seal and specialty lamination businesses of Oracle Packaging.
- Represented Aretex Capital Partners, a global private equity firm, in its 2018 acquisition of Alerian, a leading provider of energy infrastructure indices and market intelligence.
- Represented Titan Outdoor Holdings, Inc. and its majority owner Welsh, Carson, Anderson & Stowe in the 2015 sale of Titan to Intersection Holdings, LLC.
- Represented Golden Gate Capital in its 2018 acquisition of early education provider The Learning Experience.
Rate : $$$