Benjamin E. Stockman is an experienced and accomplished advisor and litigator in all areas of labor and employment law. Ben has handled a range of matters involving wage and hour law, employment discrimination, equal pay law, family and medical leave law, disability law, employee discipline and termination, and traditional labor matters, including defending companies in proceedings before the National Labor Relations Board.
He has a bicoastal practice and advocates for employers in federal and state courts, including preliminary injunctions, trials, appellate practice, depositions, subpoenas, and motion practice.
Ben has substantial experience defending clients in employment collective and class actions.Ben is a trusted advisor to clients in the media and entertainment, higher education, real estate, biotechnology, and healthcare industries, among others.
He regularly counsels clients on hiring and termination, executive employment agreements, employment diligence for M&A transactions, large-scale workforce reorganizations, and employment policies and practices, including employee handbooks and training materials.
Prior to joining Venable, Ben worked for the Office of the Corporation Counsel of the City of New York, most recently as senior counsel in the Labor and Employment Division.
In that role, he advised city agencies and pension funds in connection with local, state, and federal employment statutes, including the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA), Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Title VII, and Human Rights Laws.
- Won summary judgment dismissal of a lawsuit brought by five employees alleging race discrimination against a world-renowned medical college
- Successfully defended a prestigious university in New York City against an unfair labor practice charge at trial before the National Labor Relations Board and on appeal in the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, ultimately obtaining voluntary dismissal of the charge by the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB)
- Won early dismissal of breach of contract complaint by former student on behalf of a prominent graduate school
- Defeated an attempt by the California Department of Labor Standards Enforcement to intervene in an action by one of California’s largest medical centers to enforce a valid arbitration agreement with one of its employees
- Won dismissal of parallel federal and state court complaints alleging race and gender discrimination for the New York City Human Resources Administration
- Counseled a billion-dollar pension fund in the implementation of a settlement negotiated with the U.S. Department of Justice under the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA)
- J.D. Brooklyn Law School 2006
- B.A. University of Vermont 1998
Bar Admissions : New York, California
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
Clerk Experience :
- Honorable Beverly W. Cutler Third Judicial District, State of Alaska
- Honorable Michael R. Wilner U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
Professional Memberships :
- New York City Bar Association, Labor & Employment Law Committee Member
- University of Vermont Alumni Association
- Board Member, New York Region
- Provides employment advice and counsel to an internationally renowned nonprofit museum in New York City
- Counsels nonprofit children’s organizations on employment matters
- Mentored students in a pro bono writing program designed to shrink the learning gap in underserved communities.
Rate : $$$$