Benjamin Wells is Counsel in Simpson Thacher’s New York office and a member of the Firm’s Corporate Department. Benjamin focuses his practice on advising registered investment vehicles and investment advisers on various transactional and regulatory matters, including structuring and formation, initial and follow-on securities offerings, regulatory relief applications and ongoing governance and compliance.
His experience includes listed closed-end funds, interval funds, business development companies and REITs. He also represents underwriters in connection with offerings by registered investment vehicles as well as independent boards.
Representative transactions on which Benjamin has worked include:
- Blackstone Real Estate Income Trust, Inc., a non-exchange traded equity REIT, in the launch of its $5 billion continuous SEC-registered offering of its shares of common stock
- Three Blackstone / GSO closed-end funds in their IPOs and ongoing matters
- Blackstone / GSO as sub-adviser in connection with its separation from funds advised by FS Investments
- Underwriters in connection with various offerings, including by Goldman Sachs BDC, Inc. and funds advised by Gabelli Funds, LLC
- Independent Trustees of PIMCO and Allianz Funds in connection with ongoing matters
Benjamin received his J.D., cum laude, from the University of Michigan Law School and his B.A., cum laude, from Trinity University. He is admitted to practice in New York.
- University of Michigan Law School, 2008 J.D.
- cum laude
- Trinity University, 2003 B.A.
- cum laude
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
Admissions : New York 2009
Rate : $$$