Bernard Lee is a member of Cozen O’Connor’s Real Estate Practice Group, which consists of more than 60 attorneys in multiple offices. Prior to joining Cozen O’Connor, Bernard was a partner in the real estate department of a well-known Philadelphia law firm, which he joined in 1977.
Bernard’s practice areas include real estate development and financing, mixed-use and mixed-finance projects, construction and architect agreements, and hotel management, acquisition, and development. His clients include individual developers and joint venture partners, small and major corporations, and governmental and quasi-governmental entities.
Bernard recently served as a commissioner on the Philadelphia City Planning Commission. He is a past member of the Executive Board of the Real Property Section of the Philadelphia Bar Association, and former president of the Barristers’ Association.
Bernard’s recent pro bono work includes the representation of a church in the acquisition and financing of a building and civic services, as well as the representation of a fraternity that provides community services and youth mentoring.
Bernard earned his undergraduate degree from Lake Forest College, where he served as president of his class, and received his law degree from the University of Pennsylvania Law School.
- Represented a national real estate investment company in multiple deals throughout the United States as preferred equity investor, joint venture partner, purchaser, or seller.
- Represented the developers of the SugarHouse Casino in Philadelphia with respect to various development agreements with governmental and private entities, as well as continuing representation in connection with certain matters involving the expansion of the facility.
- Represented the Pennsylvania Convention Center Authority in the negotiation of agreements respecting the lease of property and development of the Pennsylvania Convention Center, a multi-use facility in Center City Philadelphia.
- Represented The Hershey Company in the sale, partial leaseback, and renovation of its original manufacturing facility into offices, and negotiation of a construction contract for its new state of the art 600,000 sq. ft. manufacturing facility.
- Represented the developer in a ground lease with a higher education institution, redevelopment for classroom, office, and retail space, and partial leaseback to the educational institution.
- Represented Saint-Gobain Corporation in negotiating construction contracts for build-out of its new North American headquarters campus in Frazer, Pa.
- Negotiated numerous architecture and construction contracts for both ground-up construction and substantial rehabilitation for owners or for major tenants. Construction types include design/build, cost plus with a guaranteed maximum price, and fixed price or stipulated sum.
- Represented health care provider in joint venture with contractor in developing proposal in response to RFP for behavior rehabilitation facility.
- Represented an international food manufacturer in negotiating a license agreement with an operator of hotel and retail franchises to permit the operator to open stores in the manufacturer’s name throughout the United States.
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., 1977
- Lake Forest College, B.A., 1972
BAR ADMISSIONS : Pennsylvania
- American Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association
Rate : $$$