Beth A. Fulkerson’s career has closely followed the development of the Internet – from deciding which traditional media laws applied to the first major e-commerce website launch to explaining to Congressmen why her client’s website has so many trackers. A former Chief Privacy Officer, she is a seasoned corporate counselor who takes the time to understand her client’s businesses and technologies to provide practical legal advice.
Her experience includes advising and assisting clients in all aspects of website and product launches, including name selection, consumer privacy disclosures, PCI compliance and copyright licensing.
Having managed various crises as in-house counsel, Beth enjoys training employees to prevent the next crisis. Recent work includes providing advice regarding privacy issues with connected devices (IoT or Internet of things), ownership of content published in private social media networks, and sharing of film shot from traffic helicopters.
- University of Michigan School of Law, J.D.
- University of Illinois, M.A.
- University of Chicago, A.B.
- Pattishall McAuliffe LLP
- Tribune Media Company (Sr. Counsel)
- Encyclopaedia Britannica, Inc. (Asst. GC and Chief Privacy Officer)
- Merriam-Webster, Inc. (Asst. GC and Chief Privacy Officer)
BAR ADMISSION : Illinois
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- Copyright Society of the USA
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
Representative Experience and Transactions:
- Beth has served as additional in-house counsel for established media companies and as soft intellectual property and privacy counsel for emerging companies.
- As CPO and AGC of Encyclopaedia Britannica and Merriam-Webster, Beth negotiated software development agreements, audited privacy compliance by ad network partners, and drove software copyright litigation against client to voluntary dismissal by plaintiffs.
- As owner of her own law practice, she stopped hundreds of Google keyword infringements, negotiated data licenses and content syndication deals, and advised the largest online bookstore on pricing and contests.
- At Pattishall McAuliffe, a respected IP boutique, Beth enforced trademark rights for high-profile Fortune 500 companies, represented Network Solutions, Inc. in successful litigation regarding the legal nature of domain names, and drove legal compliance of hard goods portion of largest commercial website launch to date.
Rate : $$$$