Betsy Carroll represents clients in state and federal courts on matters related to discrimination, wrongful termination, harassment, retaliation, wage and hour, breach of contract, criminal background investigations, and other employment-related claims. She has won summary judgments and argued before a jury in a harassment case that resulted in a unanimous defense verdict for her client.
Betsy also has resolved employment disputes before the Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH) and the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement, as well as through negotiation, mediation, and arbitration. She also guides clients through investigations by administrative agencies including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), DFEH, and others.
In her counseling practice, Betsy also helps employers comply with wage and hour laws, prevent discrimination and harassment in the workplace, and manage other sensitive employment topics such as workforce reductions, accommodations, privacy rights and performance reviews.
She provides tailored training for employers on topics including sexual harassment prevention and conducting internal investigations. Betsy provides employment law support in corporate transactional matters, particularly for high-profile companies in the hospitality, consumer products, and technology industries.
She conducts due diligence reviews of employment policies and records, drafts employment agreements that meet business goals and at the same time comply with state and federal employment laws, and helps prepare merger agreements.
- Module Leader, School of Business and Law, National University of Ireland, Maynooth, Co. Kildare, Ireland, 2010
- Litigation Associate, Bingham McCutchen LLP, Silicon Valley Office, East Palo Alto, Calif., 2004-2009
- Clinical Law Student, Workers’ Rights Program, East San Jose Community Law Center, San Jose, Calif., 2002-2003
- Legal Intern, Civil Rights Section, State of Ohio, Office of the Attorney General, Columbus, Ohio, 2002
- J.D., Santa Clara University School of Law, 2004, magna cum laude
- B.A., History, Stanford University, 2001
Rate : $$$$