Mr. Bill Blonigan is an associate in the Intellectual Property (IP) Practice Group in the firm’s San Diego (Del Mar) office. Mr. Blonigan has been vigorously protecting and defending his clients’ intellectual property rights in federal district courts and the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit since 2007.
He has specialized in patent law since 2004, when he studied nights and weekends to pass the patent bar exam while working as an engineer for a start-up medical-device company developing electrical, software, and biochemical solutions for diabetes patients. His practical experience developing products and deep knowledge of intellectual property law help him creatively, efficiently, and favorably resolve his clients’ disputes through licensing, mediation, or trial.
Mr. Blonigan has litigated patent, copyright, trademark, trade dress, trade secret, and contract disputes in California state court as well as federal district courts in California, Delaware, Illinois, Michigan, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and Texas. He has also helped clients build and maintain patent and trademark portfolios, through the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), and copyright portfolios, through the United States Copyright Office. In law school, he worked as an extern law clerk to several USPTO Administrative Patent Judges in Washington D.C., assisting with interferences and appeals in the electrical, chemical, and mechanical arts.
Mr. Blonigan is involved in his community as both a legal advisor and a business owner, which gives his law practice a compassionate, practical, and business perspective. He provides pro bono legal services to indigent clients in San Diego and Orange County who need help resolving immigration and intellectual property matters. He is also the current Chair of the American Intellectual Property Law Association’s Model Patent Jury Instructions subcommittee, which provides model jury instructions for use by judges and litigants across the country.
- J.D., Boston University, Paul J. Liacos Scholar, American Journal of Law & Medicine, 2007
- The George Washington University Law School, Visiting Scholar, 2007
- Tsinghua University School of Law, Beijing, China, Foreign Student, 2006
- B.B.E.E., Biomedical Engineering with emphasis in Electrical Engineering, University of Minnesota—Institute of Technology, 2003
- Supreme Court of California
- United States Patent & Trademark Office
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA), Chair of the Model Patent Jury Instructions Subcommittee
- American Bar Association (ABA)
Rate : $$$