Blake Roberts represents corporations, universities and individuals in high-stakes investigations, litigation, and other legal challenges. Prior to joining the firm in 2012, Mr. Roberts served as an Associate Counsel in the White House Counsel’s Office.
Strategic Response. Mr. Roberts represents companies and individuals facing multifaceted legal challenges at the intersection of business, law and government, including :
- representing a medical technology company facing a congressional inquiry, litigation, and multiple state and federal investigations;
- representing a bank responding to inquiries from the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations, a state attorney general, and federal investigators in investigations concerning online sex trafficking;
- representing a large defense contractor facing multiple agency investigations in connection with cybersecurity and the leak of classified information;
- representing current and former senior national security officials in criminal and congressional inquiries regarding classified subject matters, including the investigation by the House Select Committee on Benghazi and high-profile inquiries into the disclosure of classified information.
Mr. Roberts has also represented clients in commercial litigation and lawsuits involving sovereign and quasi-sovereign entities. Higher Education. Mr. Roberts represents major universities facing government investigations and related challenges pertaining to sexual misconduct on campus, including :
- defending investigations by the Department of Education under Title IX and the Clery Act;
- counseling schools facing potential litigation from student respondents or complainants;
- developing sexual misconduct policies and procedures for students and employees;
- advising on crisis situations, including communications with the media, students, parents, faculty, employees and trustees.
Mr. Roberts also advises companies and individuals on issues related to government ethics, lobbying and freedom of information laws. He has substantial experience working with prospective political appointees during the vetting process, including candidates for prominent agency positions and ambassadorships.
Mr. Roberts maintains an active pro bono practice. Among other matters, he represented a veteran seeking combat-related special compensation; advised a progressive think tank on executive action prohibiting discrimination against LGBT Americans; and represented Members of Congress supporting Executive Branch changes to immigration enforcement policy.
Before joining the White House, Mr. Roberts worked for the Obama-Biden Transition Project from August 2008 to January 2009. Prior to that, he served as a field organizer for Obama for America in 2007 and 2008. From 2006 to 2007, Mr. Roberts served as a law clerk to the Honorable Diana Gribbon Motz of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
- JD, Harvard Law School, 2006
- BA, Government, Georgetown University, 2002
ADMISSIONS : District of Columbia, New York.
CLERKSHIPS : The Hon. Diana Gribbon Motz, US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 2006 – 2007
GOVERNMENT EXPERIENCE : Executive Office of the President, The White House, Associate White House Counsel.
Rate : $$$$