For more than 40 years, Bob Donnelly has represented music industry clients, including artists, managers, record companies, music publishers, producers, studios, concert promoters and venues, as well as media and technology companies.
During this time, he has counseled an eclectic group of artists and managers of artists who have collectively sold more than 250 million albums. Several of Bob’s clients have been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the Jazz Hall of Fame, while others have won awards, such as the Pulitzer Prize and MacArthur Foundation “Genius” grants.
As a result of his experience in the industry, his practice covers the full gamut of entertainment services. Bob has been involved in a number of high-profile cases, including :
- Being part of the legal team that won a substantial judgment in unpaid royalties for rock’n’roll icon Ronnie Spector.
- Playing a significant role in getting Congress to repeal the anti-music artist amendments to the works-for-hire provisions of the Copyright Act.
- Former New York State Attorney General Eliot Spitzer gave Bob much of the credit for the settlement of a case involving “suspense accounts” that resulted in the payment of $55 million dollars in back-due royalties to artists.
- Assisting in presenting the Central Park free concert series that included artists such as James Taylor, Elton John, Diana Ross and the record-breaking Simon & Garfunkel reunion.
Prior to joining Fox, Bob was a partner in the New York office of Lommen Abdo, a Minneapolis-based law firm with the largest entertainment law practice in the Midwest. Before that, he spent more than 30 years in private practice as a music lawyer.
Early in his career, Bob served as in-house counsel for Leber-Krebs, which launched the careers of Aerosmith, AC/DC, Def Leppard, Parliament Funkadelic and many other well-known recording artists.
- St. John’s University School of Law (J.D., 1973)
- Columbia University (M.A., 1970)
- Providence College (B.A., 1968)
- American Arbitration Association, Entertainment Panel
- New York State Magistrates Association
- National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences/The Recording Academy
- New York State Bar Association
COURT ADMISSIONS : U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
BAR ADMISSIONS : New York
Rate : $$$$