Bob Edwards brings over 40 years of antitrust and regulated industry experience to bear on challenges and opportunities for clients of the firm’s top-ranked energy practice as well as other firm clients.
Bob represents businesses with respect to antitrust, competition and economic regulation matters, including public utility rate and financial regulation. He has successfully represented public utilities and energy marketers in high-stakes antitrust cases.
Electric utilities retain Bob to guide them on federal public utility regulation and related power system franchise and commercial matters, including the joint development, ownership and operation of generation and transmission assets among competing utility systems.
He also helps utility companies deal with the array of regulatory bodies on a wide range of federal, state and local issues. Bob’s practice encompasses counseling and compliance, regulatory audit defense, transaction planning and negotiation, securing FERC and state regulatory approvals, and litigation.
Chambers USA ranks Bob as a top energy lawyer in Georgia and notes that he is “held in high regard” for his work representing utility companies. He has also been a regular contributor to Energy Law and Transactions, a publication known as an industry standard.
Representative Matters :
- Negotiated co-owner agreements necessary for the construction and operation of new nuclear generating units.
- Developed a control area coordination agreement between a major Southeastern utility and a large wholesale customer group embedded within its control area.
- Representation of public utilities and energy companies in antitrust cases, including representation of an electric utility in a successful challenge to a municipal power system’s tying practices, and representation of a major energy marketer and public utility with respect to California electricity crisis litigation.
- Representation of a major electric utility in competition litigation and administration of territorial regulation.
- Representation of a major utility system concerning telecommunications diversification, including the formation and operation of a regional digital commercial mobile radio service carrier.
- Representation of public utilities in labor and employment matters, including labor, equal opportunity, internal investigations and corporate compliance.
- University of Chicago School of Law, J.D., 1977
- Princeton University, A.B., magna cum laude, 1974
BAR ADMISSIONS : Georgia, North Carolina
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Georgia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
Rate : $$$