Bonnie Allyn Barnett combines an active environmental litigation practice with counseling on regulatory compliance and the environmental implications of a wide range of business and real estate transactions. Bonnie is currently a managing partner of the firm and was the chair of the Environment and Energy Group for more than 20 years.
From large, multi-party clean up cases to toxic tort class actions as well as contractual disputes over environmental liabilities, Bonnie has handled it all. With more than thirty years of experience, Bonnie defends clients in enforcement actions, both administrative and judicial, and citizens suits under a variety of federal and state environmental statues including the Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, TSCA and RCRA.
Bonnie advises a diverse array of clients, from major pharmaceutical, energy and manufacturing companies, to universities and small businesses, on a full range of environmental issues. In addition to regulatory compliance advice, Bonnie routinely directs environmental assessments and audits and has worked extensively with consulting and engineering firms.
- Environmental Litigation :
- Negotiated the largest stipulated penalty assessed under a Superfund Consent Decree, reducing the proposed penalty by nearly half.
- Successfully defended a utility in an enforcement and citizens’ suit over a major spill from an ash basin.
- Defends clients in tort actions claiming damages arising from contamination, either on-site or on adjacent real property.
- Has represented parties at other types of cleanup sites along the East Coast from Boston to Florida and in the Midwest, as well as throughout Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
- Has litigated a number of private party cleanup matters, including a cost recovery and contract dispute over one of the largest Superfund sites in Pennsylvania.
- Environmental Advice :
- Has represented clients in nationwide corporate audits under various Federal statutes, helping clients take full advantage of audit disclosure policies, to come into compliance and minimize penalty exposure.
- Helps industry clients establish internal compliance auditing programs to resolve or prevent government enforcement.
- Assists clients with the sale and redevelopment of environmentally sensitive property, taking full advantage of brownfields programs.
- Assists business clients in structuring transactions to allocate the risks and costs of addressing environmental exposures.
- Temple University Beasley School of Law, J.D., 1982, summa cum laude, Law Review
- Temple University, B.A., 1979, summa cum laude
Bar Admissions : New Jersey, Pennsylvania
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Pennsylvania
Rate : $$$$