Brad Hawley represents financial institutions and real estate development clients in structuring, documenting, and negotiating the acquisition, disposition, development, leasing, and financing of improved and unimproved commercial real property.
He has vast experience in loan workouts and restructurings both from a lender’s and a borrower’s perspective as well as the acquisition and disposition of real estate secured loan portfolios.
Representative Experience :
- Counsel to several major national and state banking associations, life insurance companies and federal savings banks in connection with their respective acquisition, development, construction and mezzanine financing and restructure/workout/foreclosure/collection activities in Texas, California, Florida, Georgia, Nevada, Arizona, Colorado and other states.
- Primary counsel to a foreign publicly traded company in connection with its U.S. affiliates’ acquisition, financing, redevelopment, construction, leasing and sale of more than twenty-five apartment complexes, office buildings, hotels and warehouses in seven states over a ten year period.
- Primary real estate counsel to a U.S. publicly traded real estate investment trust in connection with the acquisition and financing of more than ten portfolios of office, service center and flex warehouse facilities in twelve states over a three year period, and related disposition of a thirty-one property multi-state portfolio in connection with the merger of the client with another publicly traded real estate investment trust.
- Primary real estate counsel to a major life insurance company affiliate in connection with the reorganization of the partnership owning, and ultimate disposition of, the largest office building in Dallas, Texas.
- Primary counsel to a Texas-based development concern in connection with the land acquisition, development, construction, leasing and sale of office buildings in Austin, Houston, Atlanta, Orlando and Washington, D.C.
- Counsel to a significant Dallas-based private equity opportunity fund in connection with due diligence and resulting equity transactions involving master planned communities in Texas, California and Washington.
Professional History :
- Partner, Locke Lord LLP
- Managing Partner, Locke Lord LLP’s Austin office (2001-2011)
Professional Affiliations :
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Member, Austin Bar Association
- Member, Texas Association of Bank Counsel
- Member, Real Estate Council of Austin
- J.D., with honors, The University of Texas School of Law, 1982
- B.A., Economics, with highest honors, The University of Texas at Austin, 1979
Admissions : Texas, 1983
Rate : $$$