Brad Powell is an associate in the international trade practice. Mr. Powell advises clients on commercial, regulatory and policy matters at the intersection of international trade, technology and national security. He advises manufacturers, service providers, investors and government entities on matters involving export controls, sanctions, customs, international policy, and investment in U.S. and non-U.S. businesses. His practice focuses on the commercial space industry and various emerging technologies.
Relevant agencies and areas of law include:
- International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) administered by the U.S. Department of State
- Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and antiboycott regulations administered by the U.S. Department of Commerce
- U.S. sanctions programs administered by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC)
- import controls administered by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Customs and Border Protection (CBP)
- the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA)
- the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS).
Prior to joining Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP, Mr. Powell worked as a legal intern with an industry-leading commercial space company. He previously served as a legal extern in the Office of the Legal Adviser at the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Oceans and International Environmental and Scientific Affairs. He also served as a law honors intern with the Federal Aviation Administration’s Office of the Chief Counsel, Regulations Division, Space Law Branch.
Mr. Powell received his J.D. cum laude in 2015 from Georgetown University Law Center, where he was a Dean’s Scholar and was awarded Best Oralist in the 2015 North American Manfred Lachs Space Law Moot Court Competition and Best Brief in the 2014 Competition. He earned a B.A. from the Gallatin School of Individualized Study at New York University in 2010.
Mr. Powell was an Akin Gump Pro Bono Scholar in 2013 and a member of Akin Gump’s 2014 summer associate class.Before attending law school, Mr. Powell served as an AmeriCorps Fellow at Citizens Schools in Durham, North Carolina.
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center,cum laude, 2015
- B.A., New York University, 2010
- District of Columbia
Rate : $$$