Brandon D. Almond provides counseling and defends insurance companies nationwide in complex coverage litigation involving disputes under a variety of professional liability, directors and officers liability, and general liability policies. He also maintains an active complex commercial litigation practice.
With a comprehensive knowledge of the insurance industry, Brandon advises clients and handles complex litigation with policyholders across the country on a broad range of coverage issues arising under a variety of policies, including healthcare professionals and attorneys’ professional liability, directors and officers liability, architects and engineers, employment practices liability, media-tech, cyber liability, and comprehensive general liability.
Brandon also regularly provides advice and counseling to insurers on various claims-handling and coverage issues.
Outside his insurance coverage practice, Brandon has handled complex litigation in a variety of arenas, including banking, intellectual property, antitrust and pharmaceutical. He also has experience in congressional lobbying. Further, he has developed a niche sweepstakes-and-contests advisory practice.
Brandon also has significant pro bono experience, including successfully representing a Salvadoran domestic violence survivor in her application for asylum before the U.S. Immigration Court, and a six-month rotation at Bread for the City Legal Clinic, representing low-income Washington, D.C., residents in landlord-tenant disputes in the District of Columbia Superior Court.
Representative Matters :
- Represents a D&O insurer in litigation related to multimillion-dollar government-contract overbilling allegations.
- Successfully represented an insurer in a subrogation claim related to trademark violations, in the Ninth Circuit.
- Represents numerous insurers involved in coverage litigation with respect to healthcare liability, directors and officers liability, employment practices liability, and architects and engineers professional liability.
- Obtained a favorable settlement on behalf of a national accounting firm in a malpractice suit asserted by the FDIC.
- Washington and Lee University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, 2007, Lead Articles Editor, Washington & Lee Law Review
- University of Virginia, B.A., 2003
BAR ADMISSIONS : Virginia, District of Columbia
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- Supreme Court of Virginia
- District of Columbia Superior Court
Rate : $$$