Brendan Gooley is a litigator who focuses on employment discrimination, education, and insurance matters. He joined the firm after clerking for the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit and the Connecticut Supreme Court.
Brendan defends employers, including municipalities and educational institutions, accused of various types of employment discrimination in all stages of litigation, including pre-suit, before the Connecticut Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities (CHRO), and after actions are filed. He handles complaints alleging violations of Title VII and the ADEA, as well as the state law counterparts to those and similar statutes.
Brendan handled appeals in many employment discrimination matters during his clerkship with the Second Circuit. He also has experience conducting investigations into employment-related matters. Brendan’s practice includes counseling employers in crafting various employment policies and handbooks. He is a frequent contributor to the Connecticut Employment Law Letter, writing articles on topical issues facing Connecticut employers.
As an education law litigator, Brendan focuses on issues related to Title IX. This work includes defending colleges and universities accused of violating that statute by discriminating against individuals through student discipline proceedings. In this area, Brendan has advised a Connecticut educational institution concerning lawsuits alleging discrimination in sexual misconduct proceedings.
He also addresses FERPA and other privacy related issues for an array of educational institutions. Brendan’s insurance practice includes providing coverage advice to property casualty insurance companies, particularly as to construction related accidents. He also advises life insurers on complex litigation matters, including numerous class action lawsuits.
In addition, Brendan represents insureds named as defendants in personal injury matters ranging in complexity from slip-and-falls through high-risk lawsuits involving serious, debilitating injuries. A graduate of the University of Connecticut School of Law, Brendan was managing editor of the Connecticut Law Review and a member of the Connecticut Moot Court Board.
- University of Connecticut School of Law (J.D., high honors, 2015)
- University of Connecticut (B.A., summa cum laude, 2012)
- Law Clerk for the The Honorable Christopher F. Droney, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, Hartford, CT (2017)
- Law Clerk forThe Honorable Andrew J. McDonald, Connecticut Supreme Court, Hartford, CT (2015-2016)
- Legal Intern for the The Honorable Dominic J. Squatrito, U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut, Hartford, CT (2014)
- Law Clerk, Bansley Law Offices, LLC, New Haven, CT (2013-2014)
- Intern, Lawyers Without Borders, Hartford, CT (2012)
Rate : $$$$