Brent Gurney has significant jury trial and other court experience in complex civil and criminal cases throughout the United States with more than 30 years of experience as a trial lawyer and litigator in civil and criminal matters.
He is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers; a Member of its Complex Litigation Committee; and a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America. He is also listed in Best Lawyers in America for Commercial Litigation and White Collar Criminal Defense and recognized in the 2015–2018 editions of Washington DC Super Lawyers for his Criminal Defense: White Collar practice.
Mr. Gurney’s litigation experience is broad and diverse. He has represented clients on complex matters including the False Claim Act, mortgage and financial fraud, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, complex construction disputes, trade secret misappropriation, copyright infringement, healthcare fraud, criminal tax violations, and constitutional challenges to restrictive dealer franchise laws.
He has represented major cities in sensitive and high profile civil rights pattern and practice investigations of US police departments. He has also handled numerous internal investigations into a wide variety of financial and other matters for clients in the US, Europe, Africa, South America, Asia and the Middle East.
Mr. Gurney previously served as Assistant US Attorney in the US Attorney’s Office for the District of Maryland, and was later appointed Deputy Chief for the Southern Division. Mr. Gurney prosecuted, conducted and oversaw grand jury investigations involving money laundering, healthcare fraud, bank fraud, credit card fraud, mail fraud, wire fraud, government contracts fraud, federal income tax evasion, violent crime, narcotics, the Food, Drug & Cosmetics Act, and asset forfeiture.
Professional Affiliations :
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Member, District of Columbia Bar
- Criminal Law and Individual Rights Section
- Criminal Justice Act Panel Attorney, US District Court for the District of Columbia and US District Court for the District of Maryland
- Representing a prominent automaker in ongoing constitutional and other litigation in multiple states concerning the marketing of the company’s automobiles.
- Representing the owner in a lawsuit filed in New York Supreme Court arising out of construction defects at its high-profile, iconic Frank Gehry–designed corporate headquarters.
- Representing a tech company in a lawsuit filed in the US Court of Claims against the US Navy for copyright infringement arising out of the illegal copying of the company’s software.
- Representing a large online mortgage lending company in a lawsuit filed in the US District Court for the District of Colorado by an international real estate company for breach of contract.
- Representing the owners of multiple office buildings in a prominent US city arising out of curtain wall construction defect claims against general contractors and subcontractors.
- Harvard Business School Online
- Harvard Business School Online
- JD, Harvard Law School, 1985
- BA, Kalamazoo College, 1981
- District of Columbia
- United States Supreme Court
CLERKSHIPS : The Hon. Warren Matthews, Supreme Court of Alaska, 1985 – 1986
GOVERNMENT EXPERIENCE : Department of Justice, United States Attorneys’ Offices, Assistant US Attorney and Deputy Chief, Southern Division, District of Maryland.
Rate : $$$$