B. Brett Heavner’s practice includes all aspects of trademark and unfair competition law, with a particular emphasis on trademark infringement, counterfeiting, false advertising litigation, and Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB) litigation.
Brett’s clients include pharmaceutical companies, medical device manufacturers, banking and financial services institutions, major trade associations, food product companies, and petroleum exploration and refining companies. He also handles intellectual property issues, including protecting certification marks, for safety and quality testing organizations.
Having significant experience in all aspects of domestic and foreign trademark protection, Brett assists clients in developing effective worldwide strategies for establishing and enforcing their trademark rights. He regularly counsels clients on issues regarding trademark clearance searching, trademark and copyright licensing, and certification mark programs.
He handles trademark matters in U.S. district courts, cancellation and opposition proceedings before the TTAB of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), and appeal proceedings before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Brett’s pro bono representation includes coordinating world-wide trademark registration and copyright protection program for Finding Species. Brett has also obtained and executed ex parte searches and seizures of counterfeit goods and copyright infringements in cases involving counterfeit pharmaceuticals, counterfeit pipe couplings, and materials illegally copied through computer hacking.
Brett has been a featured speaker at trademark law seminars for the Danish Patent and Trademark Office, FDANews, Patent and Trademark Institute of Canada, the United Kingdom Intellectual Property Administrators Group, and Licensing Executive Society Chinese Taipei. He has been recognized by The Legal 500 U.S. for copyright litigation, and for trademark prosecution and non-contentious work.
- Duke University School of Law J.D., with honors, 1992
- Duke University School of Law LL.M., International Law, 1992
- St. John’s College B.A., Liberal Arts, 1989
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
Professional Activities :
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (Planning Committee, Spring 2009 Meeting; Nominating Committee 2008 -present; chairman, Trademark Treaties and International Law Committee, 2007-2009; chairman, Trademark Litigation Committee, 2003-2004)
- International Trademark Association (Brand Name Education Foundation Committee, 1997-1998)
Rate : $$$$