J. Brett Pritchard has experience in a wide range of corporate, securities, and finance matters, including public and private offerings of securities, mergers of both publicly traded and privately-held companies, stock and asset acquisitions and sales, corporate governance, compliance with federal and state securities laws, and general commercial transactions.
Brett has extensive experience representing insurance companies and underwriters in public and private securities offerings, demutualizations and mergers and acquisitions. He also has worked with lawyers in our bankruptcy practice to address corporate and securities issues related to bankruptcy, corporate restructuring and acquisitions of troubled companies.
Brett is a frequent speaker and lecturer on corporate and securities law topics, having spoken on panels addressing whistleblowing developments under the Dodd Frank Act and Sarbanes Oxley Act, and the duties of directors and officers to manage entanglement risk. Brett has also spoken on a panel addressing securities offering reform at the Ray Garrett Jr. Corporate and Securities Law Institute in Chicago.
Brett has spoken at the Chicago Bar Association on the topics of public offerings, mergers and acquisitions and drafting corporate agreements, and also has been a guest lecturer at the University of Chicago Law School and the Chicago-Kent College of Law on corporate and securities law matters.
Representative Experience :
- Company counsel in IPOs and other offerings of equity and debt securities, including State National Companies, Inc., National General Holdings, Inc., Old Republic International Corporation, Patriot Risk Management, Inc. and Ottawa Savings Bancorp, Inc.
- Underwriters’ counsel in the subscription rights demutualization/IPO of Eastern Insurance Holdings, Inc., Mercer Insurance Group and Old Guard Group.
- Representation of buyers and sellers in sales and acquisitions of public and private companies.
- Representation of stock and mutual insurance companies, reciprocal inter-insurance exchanges and mutual holding companies in connection with acquisitions, capital raising, mutual holding company reorganization, and governance matters.
- Representation of a special committee of directors in connection with the company’s “going private” acquisition by its majority stockholder.
- Partner, Locke Lord LLP
- Analyst/Programmer, Electronic Data Systems Corporation
Professional Affiliations :
- Member, American Bar Association
- J.D., Cornell University Law School, 1990
- B.A., with high honors, Bates College, 1984
Admissions : Illinois, 1990
Rate : $$$