Brian E. Chisling is a Partner in the Corporate Department at Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP. He specializes in transactions involving energy and infrastructure companies, advising electric and gas utilities, independent power producers, pipeline companies, telecommunications tower investors, private equity funds and financing parties with respect to mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, securities issuances and related federal and state regulatory issues.
In the power industry, he has regularly advised American Electric Power, Ohio Valley Electric Corp., PPL, Talen Energy and various private equity clients. In addition to the recent work highlights below, Brian has represented utility and private equity clients in numerous high-profile mergers, including JPMorgan’s sale of its physical commodities trading businesses, American Electric Power’s acquisition of Central and South West Corp., KeySpan’s merger with National Grid, and the acquisition of TXU by a group of private equity firms.
Recent transactions included representing:
- Vistra Energy Corp., the parent company for TXU Energy and Luminant, in its completed merger with Dynegy Inc., a transaction with an enterprise value of $20 billion
- Global Infrastructure Partners in its announced acquisition of NRG Energy, Inc.’s integrated U.S. renewable energy platform
- Tiger Infrastructure Partners in its acquisition of the Danskammer Generation Station from Mercuria Energy Group
- American Electric Power in the $2.17 billion sale of four power plants (approx. 5.2 GW) to a newly formed joint venture of funds affiliated with Blackstone
- NextEra Energy Resources in the $760 million sale of its ownership interest in the Marcus Hook generating assets
- Talen Energy in the $860 million sale of its Holtwood and Wallenpaupack hydroelectric generating facilities to Brookfield Renewable Energy Partners
- PPL Corporation in various acquisitions and dispositions of electric generation, transmission and distributions companies and its gas utilities business, as well as in its Reverse Morris Trust transaction with Riverstone to create Talen Energy
- RBS in its $3.3 billion energy commodities joint venture with Sempra Energy, including its sale to JPMorgan
Brian joined the Firm in 1994, was named Counsel in 2002, was named Senior Counsel in 2004 and named Partner in 2012. He received his J.D. with honors from the Ohio State University Moritz College of Law in 1994. He received a B.S. in Finance and a B.A. in Sociology from Indiana University in 1991. Brian is a member of the American, New York, Ohio and Energy Bar Associations.
- Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, 1994 J.D.
- Order of the Coif; Law Review, Journal on Dispute Resolution, 1993–1994
- Indiana University, 1991 B.S. in Finance
- Indiana University, 1991 B.A. in Sociology
- American Bar Association
- New York Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Energy Bar Association
- Ohio 1994
- New York 2002
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Ohio 1995
Rate : $$$