Brian Christiansen counsels banks, investors and other financial services firms in connection with transactions and regulatory matters. Mr. Christiansen has helped clients obtain charters, raise capital, develop new products, structure and execute corporate transactions, implement compliance programs, conduct internal investigations and address enforcement actions.
He also has an active practice assisting innovative and nontraditional financial services and technology firms navigate state and federal regulatory regimes. He represents clients before all of the major financial services regulatory agencies, including the Federal Reserve, FDIC, OCC, Department of the Treasury and state banking departments.
Mr. Christiansen is a member of Skadden’s integrated team that handles complex and often groundbreaking matters in the financial services industry. Representative Matters:
- Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation in its nearly $1 billion investment in The Bank of East Asia, Ltd.;
- a publicly traded banking organization in an internal investigation related to transactions with affiliates;
- Harbor Community Bank on regulatory matters related to its acquisitions of Bank of St. Augustine, nine Florida branches of Banco Popular North America, Highlands Independent Bank and First America Bank;
- Anchor BanCorp Wisconsin Inc. in its first-of-its-kind restructuring and $175 million recapitalization through a prepackaged bankruptcy process and subsequent initial public offering;
- SKBHC Holdings LLC in its organization, capital raising, first-of-its kind acquisition of AmericanWest Bank through a section 363 bankruptcy process and follow-on acquisitions of multiple community banks;
- BankUnited, Inc. on numerous matters, including the formation of its bank subsidiary, acquisition and loss sharing agreement with the FDIC as receiver, initial public offering, acquisition of Herald National Bank and conversion from a thrift organization to a bank holding company;
- Fortress Investment Group LLC in its 80 percent acquisition of Springleaf Holdings Inc., a large consumer lending company;
- Starwood Capital Management LLC and Fortress Investment Group LLC as lead investors in the $460 million recapitalization of Opus Bank; and
- OFG Bancorp, a bank holding company based in Puerto Rico, in its capital raising and acquisition of Eurobank from the FDIC as receiver.
- J.D., The George Washington University, 2002 (with honors; Member, The George Washington Law Review)
- B.S., University of Virginia, 1999 (McIntire School of Commerce, Finance)
Admissions : District of Columbia
Associations : Chairman, Mergers and Acquisitions Subcommittee, Banking Law Committee, American Bar Association (2011-2015)
Rate : $$$