Brian Fineman works with clients on transactional matters related to project development in the energy and telecommunications industries. He strives to craft practical solutions to complex legal issues. Before attending law school, Brian worked in both sales and construction management.
Brian represents public utility holding companies and their wholesale affiliates, developers, contractors and other energy companies through the process of developing, constructing and operating energy-generating assets and related facilities. He has a particular focus on renewable energy and transmission line development as well as dark fiber infrastructure.
Brian is experienced in working with business leads, in-house attorneys, client technical professionals and other client team members to effectively translate business strategies into contract language that achieves critical goals and protects important client interests. He is committed to ensuring his clients are continually updated on developments and involved in decision-making at each stage of representation.
Brian’s experience includes drafting and negotiating major documentation with respect to the acquisition, construction, warranty and operation of various energy projects, including, among others, the following types of agreements: membership interest purchase; limited liability company; power purchase; engineering, procurement and construction (EPC); operation and maintenance; route development; administrative services; construction management; development services; and fiber-optic facilities and services.
Representative Matters :
- Represented a public utility holding company and its renewable energy subsidiary in the acquisition of numerous solar projects built, owned and operated in the Western and Southeastern United States totaling more than 1,500MW of solar capacity.
- Represented a public utility holding company and its renewable energy subsidiary in the acquisition of an approximately 150MW wind-powered electric generating project in Texas.
- Served as counsel to a public utility company in preparation of renewable energy RFP documentation and the evaluation and negotiation of documentation related thereto (including PPAs, build transfer agreements, EPC agreements and other documentation).
- Worked with a publicly traded EPC contractor to negotiate and draft EPC, route development and contractor interface agreements as part of a joint venture in response to an independent system operator’s RFP for the development of electric transmission lines.
- Represented a public utility holding company and its telecommunications subsidiary in negotiating an innovative agreement to develop 500-plus miles of dark fiber cable on a utility-controlled right of way, generating excess fiber capacity at costs far below estimates utilizing traditional development structures.
Professional Experience :
- Intern to the Honorable Sol Blatt Jr. of the U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina, 2012
- Intern to the Honorable J. Michelle Childs of the U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina, 2012
- University of North Carolina School of Law, J.D., with honors, 2014
- University of Virginia, B.A., 2005
BAR ADMISSIONS : Georgia
Rate : $$$