Brian J. Laliberte is relentless. His singular focus is to help clients achieve their objectives. He immerses himself in his clients’ businesses and industries so that he can provide clear, direct, and timely strategic and tactical counsel. He cuts through the clutter and finds the best route for his clients.
Brian’s practice can best be described as a hybrid trial-business practice. He is a formidable advocate and strategist in litigation matters and in the boardroom. He has an uncanny ability to assimilate information, identify operative issues, design a plan, and execute it. In litigation matters, this eliminates waste and facilitates faster case resolution.
In business matters, this encourages informed, rational, and transparent decision making. Brian is equally passionate about both aspects of his practice. Brian has a particular affinity for trial work. He wants to win every case for his clients. He loves the courtroom and feels at home there. Being on his feet in front of a jury is second nature to him.
He trained under a federal district judge who taught him the importance of exhaustive preparation, courtroom decorum, and establishing personal rapport and credibility with judicial officers, court staff, and jurors. These qualities are part of Brian’s ethos and have been critical to his success as a trial lawyer. Brian is at his best in the courtroom when the stakes are high – as they are in every case.
Brian’s business practice is driven by his passion for helping small and middle-market companies in the Columbus Region grow and succeed. He is energized when owners and leadership teams ask him to weigh in proactively on mission critical decisions and to help fix nagging problems.
He tirelessly studies problems from many angles, carefully assesses the entire situation, and recommends alternatives that best advance his clients’ objectives. Brian stands shoulder-to-shoulder with his clients as they pursue their business objectives and is with them through every difficulty and achievement.
- Lead counsel in Delaware Chancery Court litigation between joint venture partners in a technology start-up involving alleged claims of trade secret misappropriation, breaches of contract and fiduciary duty, and unfair and deceptive acts and practices
- Lead defense counsel for a medical marijuana company in multiple litigation matters challenging the legality of Ohio’s Medical Marijuana Control Program
- Advise new medical marijuana companies concerning regulatory compliance matters and federal law implications
- Lead defense trial counsel in a consumer lawsuit against three financial services providers arising from the use of pre-foreclosure asset preservation services
- Lead trial counsel in a complex commercial contract and trade secret dispute for an international office equipment company that resulted in full recovery of the company’s damages
- Defended a financial advisor in a parallel administrative investigation involving alleged claims of unfair, deceptive, and abusive acts and practices arising from the sale of securities and other investment products, resulting in no finding and closure of the case
- Lead defense counsel in a case brought by the Internal Revenue Service against a company accused of obtaining federal tax refunds through unlawful, unfair, deceptive, and abusive acts and practices
- J.D. Case Western Reserve University School of Law
- B.A. University of Michigan
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section, Business & Corporation Litigation Committee
- American Bar Association, Financial Institutions Litigation Subcommittee, Vice Chair
- American Bar Association, Cannabis and Alcoholic Beverages Working Group, Vice Chair
- Columbus Bar Association, Judicial Screening Committee (2004-2007, 2008-2010)
- Ohio State Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Ohio State Bar Association, Gaming and Liquor Law Committee, Vice Chair (Cannabis Law)
- Yay Bikes! Board of Directors (2015-2017); Vice Chair (2016-2017)
- Pelotonia (a 180-mile annual bicycle tour to raise funds for cancer research) (2011-2015)
- VeloSano (a 230-mile cycling event to raise funds for cancer research) (Inaugural 2014 Ride)
- Leadership Columbus (2006)
Rate : $$$$