Brian W. Lown has extensive trial experience with more than 175 jury trials during his 28 years of practice in the Hampton Roads area. His trial results have been published in the Virginia Lawyers Weekly and the results were very favorable to his clients. During one year, Brian had five consecutive jury trials that each resulted in a defense verdict for his client.
In one case that he was defending, the jury awarded the plaintiff $1.00. Brian’s primary practice areas are medical malpractice, healthcare complaints, trucking/transportation, catastrophic losses, complex litigation, products liability and premises liability.
- Brian recently defended two separate malicious prosecution cases before a jury in Lancaster Circuit Court that resulted in favorable verdicts for his clients.
- Obtained a defense verdict for a ski resort following a lengthy five day jury trial in U.S. District Court located in Scranton, Pennsylvania. Plaintiff minor was asserting a severe traumatic brain injury and boarded millions in claimed specials.
- Obtained a favorable result for a company and its driver in U.S. District Court located in Macon, Georgia following a lengthy jury trial. The lawsuits were brought by multiple plaintiffs who claimed serious, permanent injuries.
- Brian has been retained by the excess carrier in catastrophic loss cases that were litigated in Florida, Kentucky, Georgia, Alabama, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Maryland, West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina and Texas. Often times, Brian has been asked to assume the defense of the case and is dropped in within weeks or months of a trial date.
- Represented healthcare professionals successfully before the Virginia Board of Medicine who had complaints filed against them and whose medical license was at risk of being revoked.
- Brian has defended trucking companies assessed with overweight citations and over height citations, as well as represented the drivers that were issued a traffic citation. Often times, Brian was able to get the overweight citations dismissed or the fines substantially reduced.
- Defended a major shuttle bus manufacturer against product defect claims, crashworthy design claims and violations of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations. These cases involved catastrophic losses, including multiple fatalities, and were litigated in Georgia and Florida.
- Defended a major hotel located in Ocean City, Maryland that involved an indoor pool drowning. Brian has also represented manufacturers against product liability claims related to defective pool drain covers that resulted in a drowning.
- Conducted examinations under oath (EUO) for national insurance companies in first party actions that were the subject of a fraud investigation. Many of the claims by the insured were withdrawn following the EUO.
- Brian has defended landlords against lead and mold related claims brought by the tenants that resulted in favorable outcomes.
- As the result of Brian’s vast insurance defense experience and trying cases, he has also represented plaintiffs during his career who were severely injured or killed in motor vehicle accidents. He has achieved excellent results for his clients.
- J.D., Delaware Law School, with honors, 1989
- Defense Research Institute
- Norfolk Portsmouth Bar Association
- Trucking Industry Defense Association
- Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
Rate : $$$