Brian P. Miller is chair of Akerman’s Securities Litigation Practice, a team including former SEC lawyers who represent public and private companies and their officers and directors in litigation, internal investigations, and regulatory proceedings.
A former SEC lawyer, Brian has a wealth of experience representing individual and corporate clients facing SEC and other regulatory investigations and representing middle-market companies, investment funds, and directors and officers of public companies in bet-the-company litigation.
Concentrating in securities class action defense, SEC investigations, internal investigations of whistleblower allegations, accounting fraud, fiduciary duties, and other commercial disputes, Brian has defended over 25 shareholder class actions alleging securities fraud, accounting fraud, and breach of fiduciary duty. Collectively, these matters have sought damages in the billions of dollars.
Many of his cases involve multiple related lawsuits and pending government or regulatory investigations in different jurisdictions across the United States and internationally. Brian began his career at the SEC in Washington, D.C., where, among other things, he served as special counsel to Commissioner Steven M.H. Wallman.
- J.D., Case Western Reserve University School of Law, 1993, summa cum laude
- B.A., Walsh College, Finance, 1990, summa cum laude
Admissions : District of Columbia; Florida
- Dade County Bar Association, Committee on Securities Litigation, Past Co-Chair
- Dade County Bar Association, Committee on Banking and Corporate Litigation, Past Co-Chair
- ACLU of Miami-Dade County, Legal Screening Panel, Member
- CHARLEE Homes for Children, Past Board Member
- Morningside Historic Education Society, Past Treasurer
- U.S. Securities & Exchange Commission, Washington D.C.
Rate : $$$