Brian J. Pass is a partner in the Entertainment, Technology and Advertising and Intellectual Property Practice Groups in the firm’s Century City office. Mr. Pass also advises companies on internet privacy and other regulatory issues affecting the Internet and e-commerce.
Mr. Pass advises clients in all aspects of technology and media transactions, including the licensing, development and distribution of computer software and hardware; internet and new media licensing, development and marketing; online advertising; video gaming; IT and business process outsourcing; intellectual property and trade secret protection; broadband communications; interactive television and e-commerce.
Before joining Sheppard Mullin, Mr. Pass was a partner at Brown Raysman. Prior to that he co-founded Passport New Media and served as its President and CEO. He led the development of Passport’s critically acclaimed children’s Internet service, Your Own World. At Passport, Mr. Pass raised $7.5 million in venture capital, while concluding numerous third-party content partnerships and negotiating key technology and distribution relationships.
Prior to forming Passport, Mr. Pass served as Vice President & General Counsel at americast, a joint venture of The Walt Disney Corporation and several of the Baby Bell telephone companies to develop interactive digital television services.
In addition to advising the americast partnership and its board on all general corporate matters, Mr. Pass negotiated and administered numerous technology purchasing and licensing agreements including a $1 billion set-top box purchase agreement; an $80 million dollar hardware purchase agreement; a multimillion dollar intellectual property licensing agreement and numerous software development and licensing agreements.
- J.D., University of California, Los Angeles, 1991
- B.A., Wesleyan University, 1986, high honors
Representative work includes:
- Lead outside counsel to Yahoo! in agreement with Microsoft;
- Negotiation of all forms of online advertising agreements including ad network agreements, ad servicing agreements, ad sales representation agreements and ad exchange agreements;
- Outside counsel to joint venture formed to develop and deliver video on demand and interactive services;
- Negotiation of numerous multi-million dollar enterprise license and Web services transactions in the entertainment, healthcare and fashion industries.
Rate : $$$