Real estate developers and large commercial property owners count on Brian P. Watt to defend their interests in complex litigation. From nuanced restrictive covenant disputes to high-stakes commercial lease claims, clients rely on Brian’s expertise to achieve favorable outcomes.
Brian represents clients in a wide variety of matters, with an emphasis on complex litigation and commercial real estate litigation. Brian’s trial record includes successes in various state, appellate and federal courts, as well as numerous reported cases in the Georgia Court of Appeals, the Georgia Supreme Court, and the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit and D.C. Circuit.
Counseling clients in various commercial and business disputes, including lease and easement disputes, breach of contract actions, fraud claims, tortious interference claims and other statutory disputes, Brian works with businesses to resolve matters effectively and proactively, protecting clients’ assets and enabling them to move forward.
Representative Matters :
- Represented a national telecommunications provider in a precedent-setting decision handed down by the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals in litigation arising under the Federal Telecommunications Act.
- Obtained a unanimous decision from the Georgia Court of Appeals affirming a trial court decision to set aside a multimillion-dollar default judgment wrongfully obtained against the client.
- Defended two major national retail chains against alleged violations of restrictive real property covenants in federal district court, which included multiple appearances before the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Represented a mentally disabled U.S. citizen in civil rights actions involving the client’s wrongful and illegal detention and deportation to Mexico.
- Obtained a unanimous decision in the Georgia Court of Appeals on behalf of a services provider, affirming breach of contract and enforcing a liquidated damages provision.
- Served as lead counsel to the owner of a mixed-income property development in an arbitration against a property management company involving claims of fraud, embezzlement, breach of fiduciary duty and breach of contract.
- Represented a national telecommunications provider in numerous federal district court actions involving claims under the Telecommunications Act of 1996 against local county governments.
- Represented an international manufacturer of electronic components in defense of a complaint for environmental damage, trespass, nuisance and other relief.
- Served as lead litigation counsel to a national retailer in a federal court action in South Carolina arising out of a dispute over a construction build-out and claims for breach of contract.
Professional and Community Involvement :
- Atlanta Bar Association, CLE Board of Trustees, Board Member 2017-present
- Recruiting Committee, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2016-present
- Pro Bono Committee, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2014-2017
- American Bar Association (Litigation Section, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section)
- University of Georgia School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2005
- University of Georgia, B.A., magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, Phi Kappa Phi, Golden Key Honor Society, 1998.
BAR ADMISSIONS : Georgia
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Georgia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
Rate : $$$