Bruce Johnson, a veteran litigator, represents information industry clients on issues involving media and communications law as well as technology and intellectual property matters.
His expertise includes advising on First Amendment law issues, particularly involving commercial speech, commercial transactions and consumer rights.
The author of Washington’s Reporter’s Shield Law enacted in 2007, and Washington’s Uniform Correction or Clarification of Defamation Act enacted in 2013, Bruce represents clients in Internet related litigation and liabilities. He also represents national clients in privacy and security matters, advertising liability risks, defamation and Internet and online liability cases.
He is the co-author of “Advertising and Commercial Speech, A First Amendment Guide” (2nd Edition), published by the Practising Law Institute, New York.
In addition, Bruce regularly represents lawyers, law firms, and other parties in connection with legal malpractice claims, has spoken on the topic of lawyer liability and professional responsibility on many occasions, and currently serves as the co-chair of the firm’s Quality Assurance Committee.
Professional & Community Activities:
- Member; Chair, 1999-2000, Media Law and Defamation Torts Committee, Tort and Insurance Practice Section – American Bar Association
- Member; Executive Committee, 2000-2005; President, 2004 – Defense Counsel Section, Media Law Resource Center
- Media Law Reporter Advisory Board, 2005-present
- Member, 2003-present; Regulation of Advertising Law Committee, 2013-2015 – Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers
- Board Member, 1992-present; Chair, 2004-2006; President, 1999-2001 – Seattle Repertory Theatre Board of Trustees
- Board Member, 2006-present; Chair, 2011-present – Seattle Repertory Theatre Foundation Board of Trustees
- Member, National Council for the American Theater, 2005-present
- Board Member, EmcArts Inc., 2007-2013
- President and Board Member, Pacific Musicworks, 2007-present
- M.A., University of Cambridge, 1978
- J.D., Yale Law School, 1977
- B.A., University of Cambridge, 1974
- A.B., Harvard College, 1972, magna cum laude
Rate : $$$