Bruce A. Ericson, leader of Pillsbury’s Securities Litigation & Enforcement team, has a stellar record of obtaining—and defending on appeal—dismissals of securities class actions. Bruce, the managing partner of Pillsbury’s San Francisco office (2008-2016), represents banks, companies, boards and senior management in securities, M&A and corporate governance disputes, SEC investigations and litigation, and internal investigations.
He has represented bank and bank regulatory agencies in all kinds of investigations and litigation, and has deep experience in antitrust, appellate, fraud and unfair competition litigation.
REPRESENTATIVE EXPERIENCE :
- Won affirmance of dismissal of class action against Wells Fargo & Co. alleging wrongful redemption of $837.5 million of trust-preferred securities.
- Won affirmance of dismissal of securities class action against a leading aluminum company challenging its $1 billion accounting restatement.
- Won dismissal with prejudice of all claims in $6.8 billion action by federal regulators against the directors of the nation’s largest corporate credit union.
- Represented a geothermal developer in a 45-day jury trial of allegations that the developer had unlawfully recorded thousands of telephone conversations in violation of California’s Invasion of Privacy Act and on appeal, ultimately obtaining complete victory for clients.
- Has both defended and prosecuted civil antitrust and unfair competition cases and counseled clients in industries as diverse as banking, computers, geothermal energy, groceries, magazine distribution, membership campgrounds, petroleum, professional sports, shopping centers and sugar beets.
- Represented a major grocery chain in an action alleging a conspiracy to drive out magazine distributors.
- Represented a major grocery wholesaler in a class action alleging price-fixing and horizontal division of markets.
- Won dismissal of all claims against acquirer of assets of biofuels company In re Syntroleum S’holder Litig., No. CJ-2013-5807 (Okla. Dist. Court, Tulsa County, July 31, 2015).
- Won affirmance of dismissal of class action in James L. Turkle Trust v. Wells Fargo & Co., 602 Fed. Appx. 360 (9th Cir. 2015), which alleged wrongful redemption of trust preferred securities.
- Won affirmance of dismissal of securities class action challenging accounting restatement in In re Century Aluminum Securities Litigation, 729 F.3d 1104 (9th Cir. 2013).
- Won affirmance of dismissal of claims against bank holding company and its chairman in Rubke v. Capitol Bancorp Ltd., 551 F.3d 1156 (9th Cir. 2009).
- American Bar Association
- Bar Association of San Francisco
- Federal Bar Association, N.D. Cal.
- Magistrate Judge Merit Selection Panel, N.D. Cal. (chair)
- Ninth Judicial Circuit Historical Society
- J.D., Harvard Law School, 1977
- A.B., University of Pennsylvania, 1974
ADMISSIONS : California
- Supreme Court of the United States
- United States District Courts for the Northern, Eastern and Southern Districts of California
- United States Courts of Appeals for the District of Columbia and Ninth Circuits
- Pro Hac Vice to the bars of the Court of Chancery of the State of Delaware and trial courts in Louisiana and Oklahoma.
Rate : $$$