Bruce A. McMullen, shareholder in the Memphis office of Baker Donelson, concentrates his practice in health care litigation, municipal law, tort liability, commercial litigation and class action defense.
Mr. McMullen has extensive experience in the areas of insurance coverage and bad faith actions, medical malpractice defense, municipal law defense and premises liability defense.
He has defended hospitals and health care facilities, utility companies, hotels, municipalities and national insurance carriers in class actions and multi plaintiff claims. Mr. McMullen currently serves as city attorney and chief legal officer for the city of Memphis.
- University of Tennessee College of Law, J.D., 1996
- Georgia College & University, M.B.A., 1991
- University of Georgia, B.A., 1986
- Tennessee, 1996
- Arkansas, 1997
- U.S. District Court, Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court, Eastern and Western Districts of Arkansas
- Obtained a defense verdict in a month-long jury trial on behalf of a rehabilitation hospital against allegations that negligent acts of its nurses caused permanent brain damage to a well-known former TV weatherman and kids’ show host.
- Obtained a defense verdict in a jury trial representing a public school district and its board in a $4.5 million breach of contract suit.
- Successfully defended before the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals a constitutional challenge, based on the Commerce and Privileges and Immunities clauses of the U.S. Constitution, to the “Citizens Only provision” of the Tennessee Open Records Act.
- Obtained the dismissal of a putative class action seeking the certification of a class of more than 2,000 employees alleging reverse discrimination.
- Successfully argued before the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals summary judgment dismissal of a Title VII Complaint based on race discrimination.
- Tried a federal court jury trial involving insurance bad faith and coverage and successfully obtained dismissal of the bad faith action.
- Obtained a directed verdict in a state court jury trial on behalf of an over-the-road carrier in a case involving a collision accident.
- Won dismissal of governmental entity in suit alleging state constitutional violations and violations of the Tennessee Human Rights Act.
- Won dismissal of insurer in breach of contract action.
Professional Honors & Activities:
- Appointed to the Tennessee Commission on Continuing Legal Education and Specialization (2012 – 2014)
- Member – Memphis Bar Association and American Bar Association
- Member – Tennessee Bar Association
- Member – National Bar Association
- Former Board Member – Memphis Area Legal Services
- Former Civil Service Commissioner – City of Memphis
Rate : $$$$