Bruce Ely’s more than 30 years of experience have allowed him to handle projects as diverse as serving on the recruiting teams that successfully induced both Mercedes-Benz and Hyundai to locate their first U.S. manufacturing plants in Alabama to representing taxpayers before the Internal Revenue Service, the Alabama Department of Revenue and local taxing authorities.
His practice focuses on three concentric areas: representing taxpayers in federal, state and local administrative and judicial forums; advising companies on choosing the proper form of entity through which to conduct business in the southeast and potential tax incentives; and advising companies and various trade and professional organizations regarding state and local tax legislative matters.
Bruce was founding chair of the firm’s State and Local Tax (SALT) Practice team, which represents taxpayers before the Alabama, Tennessee and Mississippi Departments of Revenue, as well as local government taxing authorities and the state and federal courts.
He has served as counsel to multistate taxpayers in cases before the U.S. Supreme Court, but more often before the Alabama appellate courts, circuit courts, and the Alabama Tax Tribunal.
He also recently co-chaired the New York University Institute on State & Local Taxation and was selected by State Tax Notes/Tax Analysts as one of its “Top Ten Tax Lawyers in the U.S.”
Bruce also served as co-lead author of Bloomberg BNA’s Pass-Through Entity Navigator, a comprehensive online resource providing detailed analysis and practical guidance on a state-by-state basis for each type of pass-through entity and pass-through entity owner.
The resource tool allows tax professionals to quickly access more than 1,700 charitable topics, such as formation, federal tax classifications, taxes imposed, withholding, or composite returns, and is available to subscribers of Bloomberg BNA’s Tax & Accounting State Tax research.
- University of Alabama School of Law, J.D., 1980, with honors; Bench and Bar
- New York University School of Law, LL.M. (Taxation), 1981
- University of Alabama, B.S., Accounting, 1977, cum laude; Beta Gamma Sigma and Beta Alpha Psi Honorary Academic Fraternities, 1976
Professional & Community Activities:
- Bloomberg BNA, Multistate Tax Advisory Board, 2000-present
- New York University Institute on State and Local Taxation
- Public Affairs Research Council of Alabama, Board of Directors, Vice-Chair, 1993-present
- Alabama Law Institute, Member, 1995-present
- American Institute on Federal Taxation, Trustee, 1995-2017
Rate : $$$$