Bruce D. Platt serves as managing partner of Akerman’s Tallahassee office and as deputy chair of the Healthcare Practice Group. With a background in healthcare and medical technology, he helps insurers, providers, and related companies navigate federal and state regulations and administrative law.
Clients rely on Bruce for guidance on complex regulations, such as the Florida Insurance Code, HIPAA, and the Affordable Care Act. His clients include Aetna, AvMed, Florida Blue, Health First, and UnitedHealthcare, among others.
Known for his experience with and understanding of state and insurance agencies, Bruce assists clients with applications and filings, including acquisition and certificate of authority applications for Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs), insurance companies, reinsurers, prepaid limited health service organizations, third-party administrators, and discount medical plan organizations.
Additionally, Bruce represents clients in disciplinary proceedings and rule development hearings and workshops. He also provides advice on strategic planning and government relations as well as regulatory and compliance issues.
Bruce serves as executive director and general counsel to the Florida Health Maintenance Organization Consumer Assistance Plan. In the community, he serves in leadership roles with the March of Dimes and has been involved on a volunteer basis with the Florida Healthy Kids Corporation.
- J.D., Florida State University College of Law, 1993
- B.S., Emory University, Biology, 1981
Bar Admissions : Florida
- Florida Healthy Kids Corporation, Purchasing and Contracting Committee, Member, 2011-Present
- March of Dimes, Signature Chefs Auction, Event Vice Chair 2008, Event Chair 2015
- Currently serving as Executive Director and General Counsel to the Florida Health Maintenance Organization Consumer Assistance Plan.
Rate : $$$$