Bryan B. Lavine has defended companies and individuals in white collar criminal cases, civil and criminal investigations, corporate internal investigations, government administrative and enforcement matters, and parallel proceedings for more than 25 years.
As part of the white collar and government investigations practice group, Bryan represents clients in all stages of civil and criminal investigations, from the initiation of the investigation through trial.
He has successfully represented clients in state and federal grand jury investigations and in investigations and enforcement actions by numerous U.S. government agencies, including the Department of Justice (DOJ), the Securities & Exchange Commission (SEC), the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
Bryan has significant experience defending against federal and state False Claims Act cases. He has also represented numerous clients in matters involving potential tax offenses, violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), bribery and kickbacks, healthcare fraud, insider trading and securities fraud, environmental violations, antitrust issues, whistleblower (qui tam) litigation, and a host of other regulatory enforcement matters. Further, Bryan provides counseling with respect to corporate compliance and governance matters.
Representative Matters :
- Represented a global chemical company in a DOJ antitrust investigation and parallel state investigations into price-fixing and customer and territory allocation issues.
- Represented a publicly traded utility company in an SEC investigation involving complex financial accounting and reporting issues.
- Conducted internal investigations to address whistleblower claims made by an employee of a large publicly traded company.
- Represented a former bank officer in a DOJ and SEC investigation involving allegations of money laundering and bank fraud.
Professional and Community Involvement :
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, State Bar of Georgia
- Member, Illinois State Bar Association
- Member, Executive Board (1994-2003), Advisory Board (2004-2005), Atlanta Area Council, Boy Scouts of America
Professional Experience : Assistant State Attorney, State Attorney’s Office, Cook County, Illinois, 1977-1981
- Emory University School of Law, LL.M. (Taxation), 1982
- Chicago Kent College of Law, J.D., with honors, 1977
- Rollins College, B.A., 1974
BAR ADMISSIONS : Georgia, Illinois.
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. Tax Court
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
Rate : $$$