Buckner Wellford, shareholder in the Memphis office, is the chairman of Baker Donelson’s Advocacy Department and former chairman of the Health Care Litigation Group. Mr. Wellford represents hospitals, physicians and medical groups in health care litigation, regulatory, peer review, contract and employment matters. He is also an experienced litigator in products liability and commercial litigation disputes.
Mr. Wellford has substantial jury and bench trial experience in state and federal courts in Tennessee, Mississippi, Texas, West Virginia and Arkansas. These matters include the defense of health care providers in medical malpractice or regulatory matters, as well as product liability, breach of contract and employment disputes, civil rights, antitrust and class action defense.
His health care experience includes representation of clients at the state and federal appellate levels, in addition to representing them on administrative and/or civil enforcement proceedings involving hospital peer review proceedings, the Tennessee Department of Health, Board of Medical Examiners, the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services, the Office of Inspector General and the Department of Justice.
He has also litigated health care cases in state and federal courts in Tennessee, Texas and Massachusetts on matters regarding Anti-Kickback and False Claims, alleged violations of the Tennessee Consumer Protection Act, credentialing actions, and fraudulent conveyance.
A former Shelby County Commissioner with substantial experience in local zoning and land use issues, Mr. Wellford has represented clients before the Shelby County Land Use Control Board, the Memphis City Council, Shelby County Commission, Germantown Design Review Board, and Planning Commission for the City of Collierville. He is currently a member of the Memphis Health, Education and Housing Facilities Board.
- Washington & Lee, J.D., 1981, Burks Scholar
- Vanderbilt University, B.A., 1978
ADMISSIONS : Tennessee, 1981
- Successfully represented a hospital and ambulatory surgery center in challenges brought by physicians subject to disciplinary action under peer review procedures.
- Represented plaintiffs and defendant municipalities in federal civil rights litigation in the United Stated District Court for the Western District of Tennessee.
- Obtained declaratory judgment for a commercial lessee distribution center in a dispute over the scope of a clause in the section of lease governing “Additional Rent” in the United States District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia.
- Obtained a defense verdict for a publicly held waste collections and disposal company in a breach of contract and fraud claim involving failure to move forward with Letter of Intent for acquisition.
Professional Honors & Activities:
- Recipient – Memphis Bar Association’s annual Pro Bono award (2001)
- Recipient – Sam Myar, Jr. Memorial Award, Memphis Bar Association, for Service to the Community (1996)
- Member – Memphis Health, Education and Housing Facility Board (2016)
- Board of Directors – Memphis Bar Association (2008 – 2009)
- Fellow – Tennessee Bar Foundation (1994), Memphis Bar Foundation (2006)
- Member – International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC)
Rate : $$$$