Burleigh L. Singleton represents clients in a variety of commercial disputes, including commercial real estate matters, transactional/cross-border litigation, partnership disputes, business torts, and contract claims. Mr. Singleton focuses on trial work and has served as lead counsel or second chair in lawsuits and arbitrations in Georgia and throughout the United States.
While in law school, Mr. Singleton served as an editor on the Yale Law and Policy Review and was a Thurman Arnold Prize Finalist in the Morris Tyler Moot Court of Appeals. He was recognized in 2018 by The Best Lawyers in America® for Construction Law.
Mr. Singleton was recognized as a Georgia “Rising Star” in Business Litigation, Construction Litigation and Estate & Trust Litigation in 2005 and 2007 and again in 2009, 2010 and 2011 in the area of Business Litigation and most recently in 2018 and the six years immediately preceding as a Georgia “Super Lawyer” for Business Litigation by Super Lawyers magazine. He was named to Georgia Trend’s 2013 “Legal Elite” for General Practice. Mr. Singleton is AV® rated by Martindale-Hubbell.*
*CV, BV and AV are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedure’s standards and policies.
- Represented software manufacturer in several matters against automotive dealerships concerning the breach of software license agreements and enforcement of arbitration awards related to such claims.
- Advised international automotive manufacturer on several matters regarding the validity, priority, and enforcement of liens and security interests on the dealerships’ inventory and other collateral.
- Represented international automotive manufacturer in several trial court matters and appeals concerning the termination of dealerships, petitions for emergency relief to prevent dealers from selling vehicles out of trust, and wrongful termination of dealership claims.
- Represent manufacturer of after-market automotive parts in the trial of a multimillion dollar claim for wrongful termination of a distributorship agreement (defense verdict).
- The firm served as lead counsel for an electric membership corporation in a lawsuit against the Georgia Department of Revenue concerning the valuation of the EMC’s electrical distribution system for purposes of ad valorem taxation.
Defended Canadian corporation in federal court on claims for breach of contract and business torts. Negotiated a successful settlement while dispositive motions were pending.
- Represented lender, in pursuing borrower and guarantor in a lawsuit for breach of a promissory note and breach of a guaranty agreement. Defeated motion for summary judgment for counterclaim for fraudulent inducement and securities fraud. Obtained summary judgment on the bank’s affirmative claims on appeal.
- Represented lender in connection with state and federal lawsuits in disputes against a borrower and guarantor over a $5.5 million loan. Obtained summary judgment in the federal lawsuit on the lender’s affirmative claims for breach of contract.
- Represented a municipality in breach of lease dispute.
- Served as co-counsel for a general contractor in arbitration against concrete subcontractor for construction defects in an apartment complex.
- Represented lender in multiple proceedings in state and federal courts regarding a mixed-use development securing $60 million in senior and junior loans. Coordinated strategy for (1) pursuing the client’s affirmative claims in multiple lawsuits that were eventually consolidated in the bankruptcy court and (2) defending claims for business torts raised by the borrower and the guarantors. The case settled on favorable terms after the client won significant portions of the motion to dismiss.
- The firm served as lead counsel for a non-profit healthcare organization in the trial of a dispute concerning exemption from ad valorem taxes. The jury granted the client’s exemption.
- Represented an investment banker in dispute regarding issuance of warrants.
- Represented the executor of estate in will dispute and related dispute to recover assets of the estate. The jury upheld validity of the will and awarded all assets to the estate; verdict affirmed on appeal.
- Represented a Spanish corporation in a federal lawsuit concerning a breach-of-contract claim regarding the sale of a $36 million private jet. Negotiated a favorable settlement while the client’s dispositive motions were pending.
- Defended French conglomerate on breach of warranty and indemnification claims arising alleged defects in a gas valves that resulted in a voluntary recall where plaintiff incurred more than $15 million in damages. Removed lawsuit to federal court. Negotiated favorable settlement while motions for summary judgment where pending on several issues, including the application of French law and the United Nations Convention on the International Sale of Goods.
- Represented lender in federal and state courts in several related proceedings concerning a $17 million loan. Prevailed in bench trial on lender’s ability to pursue borrower and guarantors for deficiency remaining on the loan.
- Served as local counsel and lead trial counsel for Dash Crofts, of Seals & Crofts, a popular 1970s folk rock group, in a federal lawsuit raising claims for breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty and punitive damages. Reduced the amount in controversy to approximately $2 million by filing a successful motion for summary judgment. Tried the remaining issues to a jury, which a returned a defense verdict on the claims for breach of contract and punitive damages claims and awarded zero dollars in damages on the fiduciary duty claim.
- Represent lender in several disputes concerning a $70 million loan. Prevailed in bench trial on lender’s ability to pursue borrower and guarantor for $53 million deficiency. Presently representing the lender in federal lawsuit against borrower, guarantor, and alleged alter egos of the guarantor.
- Yale Law School, J.D. (1996)
- Emory University, B.A., History (1993)
- Georgia (1996)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court – Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court – Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court – Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Alabama – Myron H. Thompson
Rate : $$$